Call for Workshops and Tutorials participation at ISS 2019.
The ACM International Conference on Interactive Surfaces and Spaces (ISS)
is a premier venue for presenting research in the design and use of new and
emerging surface and space technologies.
We invite researchers and practitioners working in those fields to submit
workshop and tutorial proposals for ISS 2019 (Daejeon, South Korea).
Tutorials provide a broad overview of particular topics in the area of
interactive surfaces and spaces from recognized experts in the field, while
workshops allow to discuss ideas, challenges and new work between
interested researchers and practitioners.
We welcome proposals from a large variety of topics and domains. Example
topics include but are not limited to:
• Architectural concepts and emerging trends
• Immersive analytics and data physicalization
• Museum and art installation trends
• Interaction paradigms around large surfaces (tangibles, pen+touch, etc.)
• New and emerging body and space sensing technologies
• Overview of social protocols, presence, territoriality, and proxemics
• Evaluation methods for surface applications
• Multi-touch interaction with mobile devices
• Feel, taste, smell and splash user interfaces on surfaces
• ... and other exciting topics!
Workshops and tutorials will all take place on November 10, 2019. Workshops
will run for either half a day or the full day. Tutorials can run from 90
minutes to a full day (the length is up to the tutorial organizers).
Workshop organizers will receive one complimentary conference registration
and one or two complimentary workshop registrations (one for half-day, two
for full-day workshops). Tutorial organizers will receive one complimentary
conference registration, and one complimentary tutorial registration.
Proposal submission deadlines:
- Workshops: July 5 2019
- Tutorials: August 5 2019
Full details of the submission procedure and further information on the
- Workshops: https://iss.acm.org/2019/authors/workshops/
- Tutorials: https://iss.acm.org/2019/authors/tutorials/
ISS 2019 STUDENT VOLUNTEERS
We are inviting students interested in the field of interactive surfaces
and spaces to apply as student volunteers (SV). This is an ideal
opportunity to attend the conference and to connect with other members of
the community. SVs also receive free conference registration as
compensation for their help.
- June 10, 2019: Application open on http://chisv.org/iss2019
- September 10, 2019: Application deadline
- September 13, 2019: Results notification
- Conference date: November 10 - 13, 2019
Benefits and Duties
An academic conference can be great fun, but is all made possible by those
behind the scenes who make sure everything runs smoothly. So if you apply
and are selected to be a Student Volunteer you will be agreeing to:
- Work for approximately 14 hours
- Show up on time to tasks
- Attend the orientation session, 9 am Sunday, Nov. 10
In return, you get...
- Waived conference registration
- A chance to participate in a conference for innovations on interactive
surfaces & spaces, and network with researchers in the field
- An awesome bright free t-shirt
- A fun thank-you party!
Student volunteers are vital to the success of a conference. They allow
conferences to run smoothly and provide attendees a friendly go-to person
for assistance. They are also the heroes/heroines that help resolve any
unexpected situations. Their specific duties include: bag stuffing,
registration desk, AV assistance, poster, and demo setup, badge checking,
break monitoring, social media assistance and etc. SVs usually get to
attend most of the sessions, even when volunteering.
Further information can be found on the conference website:
For news of CHI books, courses & software, join CHI-RESOURCES
mailto: [log in to unmask]
To unsubscribe from CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS send an email to
mailto:[log in to unmask]
For further details of CHI lists see http://listserv.acm.org