From:
"Tetteroo, D." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tetteroo, D.
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2019 15:30:44 +0000
** Travel funding available! See below. **
Workshop at UbiComp/ISWC 2019 < http://iswc.net<http://iswc.net/><http://iswc.net%3chttp:/iswc.net/%3e> >
2019 International Symposium on Wearable Computers - 09-13 September 2019, London, UK.
--
** CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
Addressing Grand Challenges in Healthcare through Smart Clothing - SCAH<https://scahworkshop.wordpress.com/>

We are seeking for synergistic contributions from a wide array of participants, e.g., from healthcare practice, engineering and healthcare research, clothing design, human factors, and human-computer interaction. Specifically, we invite potential participants to submit a position paper outlining their perspective on the opportunities and challenges for smart clothing in healthcare.  Furthermore, we strongly encourage participants to bring their own examples of smart clothing (targeted at addressing healthcare challenges) and/or devices they currently use in clinical practice. These demonstrators will serve as a starting point for focused discussions on particular aspects related to smart clothing and healthcare. As a result of this workshop, we aim to draft a “Grand Challenges: Smart Clothing and Healthcare” position document that can serve as a future research agenda.

** WORKSHOP TOPICS
We are looking for a wide range of contributions regarding the workshop topic. Submissions could address, amongst others:

. Why clothing? What does smart clothing facilitate that current wearable devices do not?
. Why is smart clothing not currently more available for healthcare applications?
. What are the pathways from a novel therapeutic or interventional garment to commercialization? Where are the “valleys of death”?
. What are the pathways from a clinical need to a viable smart clothing solution? Where are stakeholder interests in conflict?
. Which clinical domains would be the most transformed by viable smart clothing solutions? Why?

** TRAVEL FUNDING FOR US-BASED PARTICIPANTS
We provide travel funding (flight + conference registration) for up to 10 participants from US institutions. Budget will be distributed amongst the authors of accepted position papers (funding for max. 1 author per paper), based on a first-come, first-served basis.

** PUBLICATION
All workshop papers will be published together with ISWC Proceedings. All accepted and presented papers will be published by ACM and made available through ACM Digital Library.
In addition, we plan on drafting an outline of the grand challenges together with the workshop participants, to be refined post-workshop and published in a relevant journal.

** SUBMISSIONS
Submitting a position paper is encouraged, but not required for participation in this workshop. Participants may submit a short (3-4 pages) position paper (in ACM_SigConf format) via EasyChair <https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=scah2019>, outlining the following:

1.            Perspective on the (1-3) most important opportunities and the (1-3) biggest obstacles for smart clothing in healthcare.
2.            Relevant background and prior work the participant would bring to the workshop.
3.            Devices of interest or relevance to the group (commercial or research prototypes) that the participant could bring to the workshop to demonstrate/discuss.

Position papers will be evaluated for their clarity and insight, as well as the domain expertise and degree of experience described by the author(s). Technology demonstrations will not be required, but will strengthen a participant’s projected contribution to the workshop.

Although the submission format does not allow for careful consideration of all possible diversity parameters, diversity of thought and perspective is a key objective of the workshop. The selection process will aim to balance these diversity parameters:

. Representation from technological and clinical domains (as well as diversity of expertise/perspective within these domains)
. Experience level within the field of smart clothing
. Gender balance
. Racial and geographic diversity

To enable engagement with newer researchers as well as voices of experienced contributors, we will encourage non-student participants to bring a student if that is feasible.

** SIGNING UP WITHOUT A POSITION PAPER
Although highly encouraged, participants are not required to submit a position paper to participate. For those who wish to sign up to SCAH without making a submission, please submit a brief motivation with a short description of your a) background, b) experience with wearables and c) whether you wish to bring your prototypes or wearables / smart clothing you work with in your practice.

** SUBMISSIONS DEADLINES
June 17, 2019: Workshop papers deadline (extended)
June 28, 2019: Workshop paper notification
July 12, 2019: Workshop paper camera ready
Sept 10, 2019: Workshop

** ORGANIZERS
Daniel Tetteroo (Eindhoven University of Technology)
Bruna Goveia da Rocha (Eindhoven University of Technology)
Lucy Dunne (University of Minnesota)