From:
Francisco Ortega <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Francisco Ortega <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 2019 21:14:51 +0000
*** Sorry for cross-posting ***

Dear all,

NIDIT is back! The Second Workshop on Emerging Novel Input Devices and Interaction Techniques. Workshop hosted by IEEE VR 2020. Atlanta, GA. USA. (March 22-26, 2020). We had a great turned out last workshop and we are hoping you joined us a for a full day. Please consider submitting to NIDIT. (site: https://sites.google.com/view/nidit)

Virtual reality has finally become mainstream technology. Recent advances in commercial VR hardware have led to high-resolution, ergonomic, – and critically – low-cost head-mounted displays. Advances in commercial input devices and interaction techniques have arguably not kept pace with advances in displays. For instance, most HMDs include a tracked input device: “wands” that are not dissimilar to the earliest examples of 3D controllers used in the VR systems of the 1980s. Interaction in commercial VR systems has similarly lagged; despite many advances in 3D interaction in the past three decades of VR research, interaction in commercial systems largely relies on classical techniques like the virtual hand, or ray-casting.

This full-day workshop (Sunday, October 23, 2020) will bring together researchers and industry practitioners to discuss and experience the future of input devices for VR, AR, and 3D User Interfaces, and help chart a course for the future of 3D interaction techniques.

We invite participants to submit papers between 4 and 6 pages addressing challenges in the design, development, and evaluation of new VR input devices and interaction techniques. This includes both hardware and software, as well as user studies. The workshop will emphasize the hands-on nature of the research by encouraging submissions that can be demonstrated within the workshop on any of the following topics:

  *   Form factors and ergonomics of input devices
  *   Hardware design and prototyping
  *   Mapping of input to display degrees of freedom
  *   Haptic/tactile feedback
  *   Novel input devices
  *   Repurposing of existing devices (e.g., smartphones, tablets) in VR contexts
  *   Tracked passive or custom props
  *   Novel Interaction techniques supported by custom devices
  *   User studies evaluating the above topics
  *   Related but unlisted topics are also welcome. In addition to a presentation at the workshop, authors of all accepted submissions will be strongly encouraged to demonstrate their novel input device and interaction techniques in an interactive demo format following presentations.

Important Dates:

  *   Submission Deadline: 15 January, 2020.
  *   Notification: January 31st, 2020.
  *   Camera-Ready: 14 February, 2020.

Submission Information:

Papers should be submitted via EasyChair: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=niidt2020

Submissions must be anonymized and in PDF format, in the VGTC format: http://junctionpublishing.org/vgtc/Tasks/camera.html<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fjunctionpublishing.org%2Fvgtc%2FTasks%2Fcamera.html&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNES62nMbzMSa8QcazSCZXPt_ta9zw>

All submissions will be reviewed by experts in the areas listed above. At least one author of each accepted submission must register for the workshop and at least one day of the IEEE VR 2020 conference. Authors of accepted papers will be expected to give a presentation at the workshop, and to give a demonstration of their research (In some cases, demonstrations may not be possible. For those cases, a video may be provided). Proceedings will be submitted for inclusion in the IEEE Xplore Library. We will also host the papers in this site.

Organizers:

Robert J. Teather, Adalberto L. Simeone, Francisco R. Ortega

Contact: Please send any questions to Robert Teather ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) or Francisco R. Ortega ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)

Thanks,
Francisco R. Ortega, Ph.D.
Computer Science - 3D User Interfaces
Assistant Professor, Colorado State  University
"No me quieras porque gané, necesito que me quieras para ganar" -- Marcelo Bielsa