From:
Jerry Alan Fails <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Alan Fails <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2019 06:18:07 -0700
3rd International and Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Children & Recommender and Information Retrieval Systems (KidRec)
What does good look like?

June 15, 2019
Co-located with ACM Interaction Design and Children (IDC) Conference 2019 <http://idc.acm.org/2019/> - Boise, Idaho

We cordially invite you to submit papers to the KidRec workshops, which be held on June 15, 2019 in Boise, Idaho

Objectives:
Children regularly use search and recommendation systems (for education and leisure purposes), yet they are faced with resources that might not be useful for them. The call for reliable, child-friendly information retrieval systems (IRS) has been made many times and the thesis that algorithms of “adult" IRS are not necessarily suitable or fair for children has been proven. However, there is still no clear view on what makes such IRS (and their outputs) good. The focus of this workshop will be on: how to assess and compare IRS for children.

Collectively we will answer: Which strategies from theory and practice can be used to achieve useful evaluations? We will work to build on current evaluation frameworks to construct an effective evaluation framework for IRS. We invite researchers in education, child-development, computer scientists, designers, and more who can: discuss diverse methods and techniques for evaluating children IRS, outline a general evaluation framework, and build a community that can explicitly look at issues with existing evaluation methodologies and plan for future research. The goal of this interactive workshop is to share and discuss research and projects that reach beyond classic IRS evaluation.

Important Dates:
Paper submission deadline          April 1, 2019
Notification to authors                 April 22, 2019
Camera-Ready Version                 May 15, 2019
IDC Conference                              June 12-15, 2019
KidRec Workshop                          June 15, 2019

Submission:
We invite submissions of short papers (4-6 pages) discussing novel work and position papers or work-in-progress (2-4 pages) focusing on open challenges in design evaluation; interviews; statics analysis, etc.

All papers will be peer-reviewed, and at the time of submission, must not be under review in any other venue.

All submitted papers must:
Be written in English
Contain author names, affiliations, and email addresses
Be formatted according to the SIGCHI extended abstract format <http://idc.acm.org/2019/idc-proceedings-format/>
Be submitted via the EasyChair submission page <https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=kidrec2019>

Authors will retain the copyright of their submission, however, proceedings will be publicly posted on the Workshop website (https://kidrec.github.io/ <https://kidrec.github.io/>)

We are also developing a special issue proposal and will be inviting accepted authors to submit extended papers for consideration.

KidRec Organizing Committee
Website: https://kidrec.github.io/ <https://kidrec.github.io/>