From:
Tone Bratteteig <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tone Bratteteig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 2020 19:01:53 +0000
* sorry for cross postings *

Dear collagues,

We invite you to attend our workshop at NordiCHI 2020 i Tallin (25-29. Oct.) on "Strengthening human autonomy in the era of autonomous technology. Contemporary perspectives on interaction with 'autonomous things'.

The aim of the workshop is to address the role that? human autonomy presently receives in HCI research and how "autonomous technologies" might challenge, rather than facilitate human autonomy. We acknowledge a need for new ways of understanding HCI and interaction design as digital technologies develop. In this workshop, participants are invited to a discussion where the autonomous human-being-who can act autonomously with autonomous technologies-is emphasized, beyond simple human control to a more flexible, sophisticated, subtle, and sustainable autonomy.

Themes for the workshop
With our main interest being 'autonomous technologies' and how they might make the interaction imperceptible, challenging rather than facilitating human autonomy as a background, this workshop focuses on the role of human autonomy and the right of the individual to govern their own lives. We want to explore interaction goals, relevant theories, methods, relations between the human and the computer, and relevant values and questions for these technologies, potentially defining a shift in HCI. We are particularly interested in discussing the following themes but are also open for other takes on our main questions:

Imperceptible interactions: Interactions that we cannot directly perceive (see, touch, feel) or understand (the mechanisms behind the technology is hidden) such as; smart environments and homes, ML algorithms and predictive technologies, robot "decisions". How do people understand autonomous technology when they cannot sense or make sense of its operations? How can we design for human autonomy when the human does not know that s/he interacts or what the autonomous technology does? How can humans relate to autonomous and/or imperceptible 'things' - or how do we describe the human-thing and subject-object relations?

Interaction with autonomous things: Interaction with robots, (chat)bots, or smart vehicles. We have seen that with the introduction of a robot in a domestic setting, humans need to carry out facilitation or articulation work. How do we describe how we relate to technology that perform tasks for us and with us? How do people handle having autonomous or automatic things as "colleagues" or "partners" in work where work tasks are distributed or shared between humans and technology? What is a good mix or fit between machine and human decision-making?

Perspectives on "imperceptible interactions with autonomous things.": We welcome philosophical and theoretical perspectives on human autonomy in today's society and how technology can strengthen human autonomy. How do we describe and critically evaluate the different ways that technology represent, protect and support or weaken human autonomy? Within this theme we include questions about how we can design these interactions, i.e., how to design for capabilities, prolonged mastery, or situated abilities, or how to design for perception and meaning-making when imperceptible interaction is the basis, how to design for interaction with moving things like robots?

Submission
We invite researchers to submit a 2-4 pages position paper related to the topics described above via email to nordichi2020-ws-a2 <at> ifi.uio.no. More detailed information on the workshop web page<https://www.mn.uio.no/ifi/english/research/groups/design/NordiCHI2020-ws.html>

Timeline and important dates:
August 17th     Deadline for workshop position paper submission
August 24th     Notification of acceptance/rejection to the workshop
September 7th   2020 Workshop publication ready & registration
October 25th or 26th    Workshop @ NordiCHI 2020

?
Workshop organizers
Tone Bratteteig, Diana Saplacan, Rebekka Soma, Johanne Svanes Oskarsen
Digitalization: Design of Information Systems, Department of Informatics, University of Oslo, Norway??