From:
Gene Ouye <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 12:24:27 -0800
Dave Wood said it very well and I agree with pretty much everything he
wrote.  I am not allowed to release "hard data", but I can tell you that the
Ada-related portion of Rational's business continues to be strong and we are
committed to it.

I don't know who your "influential colleagues" are, but if they are in any
way associated with the Ada market, I find it hard to believe that they are
not experiencing some of the excitement and anticipation that I see
everywhere that Ada is being used.  Sure, there are some places where people
can't move fast enough to get out from under the (supposed) iron fist of the
mandate.  But what I see are paying customers who are excited about the new
Ada products that are available (not just Rational's, but the whole gamut),
and the potential for Ada 95.

Tucker has listed a lot of Ada-specific products, and others have chimed in
with additional products.  But don't forget that there is a wealth of
additional products that are not language-specific that work just as well
with Ada as any other language.  So don't think the list of products that
can be used on Ada projects is constrained to the list of Ada-specific
products.

BTW, in Tucker's list of "companies which provide Ada-supportive tools",
both Rational and Aonix (to name two companies) sell a lot of things besides
compilers and many of those tools have specific support for Ada added in to
them (eg, Rational Rose for Visual Modeling and Rational SoDA for document
automation, as well as Purify, etc).  We and Aonix also offer products that
are applicable to Ada projects even though they don't have any particular
Ada-specific additions.

Another BTW, if your colleague's concern for the availability of Ada support
for "new processors" seems odd.  A legitimate complaint has been that Ada
doesn't properly support, or isn't widely available on, older less-capable
processors.  But the newer ones these days provide much more capability than
the older ones, and support for them is much easier.  Which "new processors"
are your colleagues considering using on which there is little or no Ada
support?  If there is any reasonable business case for moving an Ada
compiler to a new processor, pretty much any Ada vendor would do it.  Are
you or your colleagues aware of business opportunities (ie, projects that
want to buy tools) for Ada on currently unsupported "new" processors?  If
so, I would think all the Ada vendors (not just the ones on Team-Ada) would
be interested in them.

Gene Ouye <[log in to unmask]>

Apex Ada NT Product Manager                     phone:  408-863-5054
Rational Software Corporation           cell:   650-465-2541
18880 Homestead Road                            fax:    408-863-5075
Cupertino, CA 95014                             email:  [log in to unmask]