CHI-RESOURCES Archives

ACM SIGCHI Resources (Mailing List)

CHI-RESOURCES@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Brent Beckley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brent Beckley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2021 15:38:01 -0400
I am pleased to announce a new book in our Human-Centered Informatics
Series.

The Trouble with Sharing: Interpersonal Challenges in Peer-to-Peer Exchange

Airi Lampinen, Stockholm University

ISBN: 9781636392073

PDF ISBN: 9781636392080

Hardcover ISBN: 9781636392097

Copyright August 2021 | 119 Pages

Abstract

This book adds to the growing body of research on exchange platforms and the
sharing economy. It provides empirical examples and conceptual grounding for
thinking about interpersonal challenges in peer-to-peer exchange and the
efforts that are required for exchange arrangements to flourish. It offers
inspiration for how we might think and design differently to better
understand and support the efforts of those involved in peer-to-peer
exchange. While the issues cannot be simply "solved" by technology, it
matters which digital tools an exchange arrangement relies on, and even
seemingly small design decisions can have a significant impact on what it is
like to participate in exchange processes. The technologies that support
exchange arrangements-often platforms of some sort-can be driven by
differing sets of values and commitments. This book invites students and
scholars in the Human-Computer Interaction community, and beyond, to
envision and design alternative exchange arrangements and future economies.

Peer-to-peer exchange is a type of sharing that involves the transfer of
valued resources, such as goods and services, among members of a local
community and/or between parties who have not met before the exchange
encounter. It involves online systems that allow strangers to exchange in
ways that were previously confined to the realm of kinship and friendship.
Through the examples in this book, we encounter attempts to foster the
sharing of goods and services in local communities and consider the
intricacies of sharing homes temporarily with strangers (also referred to as
hospitality exchange or network hospitality). Some of the exchange
arrangements discussed involve money while others explicitly ban
participants from using it. All rely on digital technologies, but the
trickiest challenges have more to do with social interaction than technical
features. This book explores what makes peer-to-peer exchange challenging,
with an emphasis on reciprocity, closeness, and participation: How should we
reciprocate? How might we manage interactions with those we encounter to
attain some closeness but not too much? What keeps people from getting
involved or draws them into exchange activities that they would rather
avoid?

Table of Contents

Preface / Acknowledgments / Introduction / Situating the Sharing Economy /
What Do We Talk About When We Talk About the Sharing Economy? / Reciprocity
and Indebtedness / Closeness and Intimacy / Participation and Inclusion /
Future Direction / Epilogue / References / Author Biography

Synthesis Lectures on Human-Centered Informatics

SERIES EDITOR: John M. Carroll, Penn State University

https://www.morganclaypoolpublishers.com/catalog_Orig/index.php?cPath=22
<https://www.morganclaypoolpublishers.com/catalog_Orig/index.php?cPath=22&so
rt=2a&series=30> &sort=2a&series=30

With regards,