CHI-RESOURCES Archives

ACM SIGCHI Resources (Mailing List)

CHI-RESOURCES@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Brent Beckley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brent Beckley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 2021 14:39:28 -0500
I am pleased to announce new supplemental materials for this previously
published textbook in Morgan & Claypool's series on Human Centered
Informatics.

Qualitative HCI Research: Going Behind the Scenes

Ann Blandford, University College London

Dominic Furniss, University College London

Stephann Makri, City University London

ISBN: 9781627057592

PDF ISBN: 9781627057608

Copyright C 2016 | 136 Pages

https://www.morganclaypoolpublishers.com/catalog_Orig/product_info.php?produ
cts_id=931

NEW TEACHING RESOURCES

Downloadable PowerPoint of all figures and a poster for class display.

Introduction to the book on YouTube
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxL5GihRS7w> .

Abstract
Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) addresses problems of interaction design:
understanding user needs to inform design, delivering novel designs that
meet user needs, and evaluating new and existing designs to determine their
success in meeting user needs. Qualitative methods have an essential role to
play in this enterprise, particularly in understanding user needs and
behaviours and evaluating situated use of technology. Qualitative methods
allow HCI researchers to ask questions where the answers are more complex
and interesting than 'true' or 'false,' and may also be unexpected. In this
lecture, we draw on the analogy of making a documentary film to discuss
important issues in qualitative HCI research: historically, films were
presented as finished products, giving the viewer little insight into the
production process; more recently, there has been a trend to go behind the
scenes to expose some of the painstaking work that went into creating the
final cut. Similarly, in qualitative research, the essential work behind the
scenes is rarely discussed.

There are many 'how to' guides for particular methods, but few texts that
start with the purpose of a study and then discuss the important details of
how to select a suitable method, how to adapt it to fit the study context,
or how to deal with unexpected challenges that arise. We address this gap by
presenting a repertoire of qualitative techniques for understanding user
needs, practices and experiences with technology for the purpose of
informing design. We also discuss practical considerations such as tactics
for recruiting participants and ways of getting started when faced with a
pile of interview transcripts. Our particular focus is on semi-structured
qualitative studies, which occupy a space between ethnography and surveys -
typically involving observations, interviews and similar methods for data
gathering, and methods of analysis based on systematic coding of data.

Just as a documentary team faces challenges that often go unreported when
arranging expeditions or interviews and gathering and editing footage within
time and budget constraints, so the qualitative research team faces
challenges in obtaining ethical clearance, recruiting participants,
analyzing data, choosing how and what to report, etc. We present
illustrative examples drawn from prior experience to bring to life the
purpose, planning and practical considerations of doing qualitative studies
for interaction design. We include takeaway checklists for planning,
conducting, reporting and evaluating semi-structured qualitative studies.

Table of Contents:  Acknowledgments / Preface / Glossary / Introduction /
Planning a Study / Sampling and Recruitment / Gathering Data / Analysing
Data / Paradigms and Strategies / Reporting / Ensuring Quality in
Qualitative Research / Conclusions and Further Resources / Bibliography /
Authors' Biographies

Series: Human Centered Informatics
Series Editor: John M. Carroll, Penn State University
https://www.morganclaypoolpublishers.com/catalog_Orig/index.php?cPath=22
<https://www.morganclaypoolpublishers.com/catalog_Orig/index.php?cPath=22&so
rt=2a&series=30> &sort=2a&series=30

With regards,