Sender:
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2020 14:53:22 -0700
From:
Francisco Ortega <[log in to unmask]>
  Dear All,

*** Sorry for cross-posting ***

LAST CFP -- Last day to submit for NIDIT

Remember we are also accepting rejected papers from IEEE VR (see
instructions below). All NIDIT papers can be submitted today 11:59 pm AOE.

If you are showcasing a demo, please make it clear or email me with the
subject line [NIDIT DEMO]

Thanks,

Looking forward to see you all in NIDIT.

=== PLEASE NOTE NEW SUBMISSION DATES and More ===

Dear all,

NIDIT is back! The Second Workshop on Emerging Novel Input Devices and
Interaction Techniques Workshop will be hosted at IEEE VR 2020, Atlanta,
GA, USA (March 22-26, 2020).  We had a great turn out last year and are
hoping you will join us again this year for a full day. Please consider
submitting to NIDIT.  (site: https://sites.google.com/view/nidit)

Virtual reality has finally become mainstream technology. Recent advances
in commercial VR hardware have led to high-resolution, ergonomic, – and
critically – low-cost head-mounted displays. Advances in commercial input
devices and interaction techniques have arguably not kept pace with
advances in displays. For instance, most HMDs include a tracked input
device: “wands” that are not dissimilar to the earliest examples of 3D
controllers used in the VR systems of the 1980s. Interaction in commercial
VR systems has similarly lagged; despite many advances in 3D interaction in
the past three decades of VR research, interaction in commercial systems
largely relies on classical techniques like the virtual hand, or
ray-casting.

This full-day workshop (Sunday, March 22, 2020) will bring together
researchers and industry practitioners to discuss and experience the future
of input devices for VR, AR, and 3D User Interfaces, and help chart a
course for the future of 3D interaction techniques.

We invite participants to submit papers between 4 and 6 pages addressing
challenges in the design, development, and evaluation of new VR input
devices and interaction techniques. This includes both hardware and
software, as well as user studies. The workshop will emphasize the hands-on
nature of the research by encouraging submissions that can be demonstrated
within the workshop on any of the following topics:

   -

   Form factors and ergonomics of input devices
   -

   Hardware design and prototyping
   -

   Mapping of input to display degrees of freedom
   -

   Haptic/tactile feedback
   -

   Novel input devices
   -

   Repurposing of existing devices (e.g., smartphones, tablets) in VR
   contexts
   -

   Tracked passive or custom props
   -

   Novel Interaction techniques supported by custom devices
   -

   User studies evaluating the above topics
   -

   Related but unlisted topics are also welcome. In addition to a
   presentation at the workshop, authors of all accepted submissions will be
   strongly encouraged to demonstrate their novel input device and interaction
   techniques in an interactive demo format following presentations.

Important Dates: (updated)

   -

   Abstract Deadline: January 24th, 2020
   -

   Submission Deadline: January 30th, 2020.
   -

   Notification: Feb 9th, 2020.
   -

   Camera-Ready: February 14th 2020.

* IEEE VR rejected papers: We know that great papers do get rejected from
IEEE VR conference papers track. If you would like to submit yours, you do
not have to submit an abstract. Submit your paper along with the reviews
given to you (including scores) and how you addressed those comments from
the reviewers by January 31st.  Please note that the review process will be
different. Please, do not submit an abstract just in case if your paper
gets rejected. That will be a multiple submission and we will invalidate
your submission.

Submission Information:

Papers should be submitted via EasyChair:
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=niidt2020

Submissions must be anonymized and in PDF format, in the VGTC format:
http://junctionpublishing.org/vgtc/Tasks/camera.html
<http://junctionpublishing.org/vgtc/Tasks/camera.html>

All submissions will be reviewed by experts in the areas listed above. At
least one author of each accepted submission must register for the workshop
and at least one day of the IEEE VR 2020 conference. Authors of accepted
papers will be expected to give a presentation at the workshop, and to give
a demonstration of their research (In some cases, demonstrations may not be
possible. For those cases, a video may be provided). Proceedings will be
submitted for inclusion in the IEEE Xplore Library. We will also host the
papers on this site.

Organizers:

Robert J. Teather, Adalberto L. Simeone, Francisco R. Ortega
Contact: Please send any questions to Robert Teather (
[log in to unmask]) or Francisco R. Ortega ([log in to unmask])

Thanks,
Francisco R. Ortega, Ph.D.
Computer Science - 3D User Interfaces
Assistant Professor, Colorado State  University
"No me quieras porque gané, necesito que me quieras para ganar" -- Marcelo
Bielsa