From:
"Bandukda, Maryam" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bandukda, Maryam
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 2021 17:25:26 +0000
Dear Colleagues,

We are now accepting rolling submissions until March 10 for our workshop
'Rethinking the Senses: A Workshop on Multisensory Embodied Experiences and Disability Interactions'

Details of the workshop are available on our website: https://www.disabilityinnovation.com/projects/rethinking-the-senses.

Key Dates

Submission accepted until March 10, 2021 (23:59 AoE time)
Notification of acceptance by March 15, 2021
Workshop date: May 13-14, 2021

Call for Participation

We invite researchers, practitioners, and designers with an interest in creating inclusive multi-sensory interactions for people of all abilities to submit position papers of up to 4 pages in single-column SIGCHI submission template (including references) stating their existing work, a conceptual design, or their position with respect to the workshop topic. We also welcome alternate submissions in the form of presentation slides, design sketches, and posters. Submissions should also include up to two discussion points and issues that participants would like to discuss in the workshop. Authors must ensure the accessibility of their submission by following the SIGCHI Accessibility Guidelines (https://chi2021.acm.org/for-authors/presenting/papers/guide-to-an-accessible-submission).

Submissions can be made, by March 10, 2021 by email to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. The submissions can be individual or group. If accepted, at least one author must attend the workshop at CHI2021 (via Zoom). All accepted submissions will be published on the website prior to the workshop.

Workshop Aims and Topics

This workshop aims to build a community of researchers, designers, and practitioners with interest in three main aspects: (i) expertise of designing for different senses or multi-sensory and cross-sensory technologies (ii) to support people with disability, but also for life transitions (e.g., ageing, new parents, becoming disabled) and long-term conditions (e.g., chronic pain and MS), and (iii) embodied interactions. This session will enable networking, new collaborations, and potentially novel ways of exploiting such research from varied perspectives. Attendees will share knowledge and insights into methods and tools by discussing questions of interest, such as:

  *   How can the artificial alteration of senses enable adaptation to different life experiences and even exploration of different selves/ identities due to dynamic life situations? What is the effect of such an alteration on mental health and self-efficacy? How can technologies adapt to people’s evolving sensory needs? What about sensory overload – when sensory stimulation through technology that seeks to augment becomes too much?
  *   How can sensing technology for disability (or for different/ changing abilities) be designed to support this dynamic self or even enable fruitful exploration of self? What happens when such exploration leads to dysmorphic experiences, psychological distress or negative results on the self?
  *   How can multisensory technologies enable and enhance novel interactions for leisure, entertainment, and social interactions, that support diverse ways of interacting, respectful of the diversity of abilities and sensory experiences?
  *   Can a rethinking of sensing technology facilitate the critical change necessary to move beyond accessibility research and consider disability experiences in all their complexity?
  *   What are the potential ethical issues that arise when doing such research? What kind and level of support needs to be in place?
  *   Who are the stakeholders that need to be involved in this space?

Invited Panellists

We have invited experts in multisensory embodied interactions and disability design and innovation to join our panel discussion.

  *   Marianna Obrist (University College London)
  *   Sri Subramanian (University College London)
  *   Michael Proulx (University of Bath)
  *   Cecily Morrison (Microsoft Research)
  *   Antonio Camurri (University of Genova)

Organisers

  *   Maryam Bandukda (University College London)
  *   Aneesha Singh (University College London)
  *   Catherine Holloway (University College London)
  *   Nadia Berthouze (University College London)
  *   Emeline Brule (University of Sussex)
  *   Ana Tajadura-Jiménez (Universidad Carlos III de Madrid)
  *   Oussama Metatla (University of Bristol)
  *   Ana Javornik (University of Bristol)
  *   Anja Thieme (Microsoft Research Cambridge)

Best regards,

Maryam Bandukda

PhD Student

University College London Interaction Centre (UCLIC)
Global Disability Innovation (GDI) Hub