Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 22:58:36 -0800
From:
Rich Hilliard <[log in to unmask]>
Samuel Mize wrote:

> One often uses a particular "pattern" or "paradigm" or "idiom"
> to develop a "chunk" of software.  (Intentionally vague.)
> Such paradigms, among other things, always impose constraints
> on how the code should be written.

. . .

> Is there existing work on this kind of semantic support tool?
> Surely so.  Can you give me a pointer to newsgroups, web sites,
> or good key words to search on (like names of prototype tools)?

As in most of computer science, there seem to be two approaches, the
declarative and the procedural :-)
For an example of the declarative approach, see the work at Utrecht:
http://www.cs.ruu.nl/people/florijn/research/patterns.html.
For an example of the procedural approach, see Alencar and Lichtner's
work: http://csg.uwaterloo.ca:80/~kurt/paper.html

--
Rich Hilliard
Director of Architecture