Sender:
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 2019 18:43:48 +0800
From:
HCI Mobile <[log in to unmask]>
[We apologize if you receive multiple copies of this Call for
Participation.]

ACM MobileHCI 2019 Student Competition / Call for Participation

Oct. 2, 2019 - Taipei, Taiwan

https://mobilehci.acm.org/2019/call-for-student-competition/

# IMPORTANT DATES

- Application due -- August 5, 2019

- Acceptance notification -- August, 16, 2019

- Hardware kits shipped to accepted teams -- August 17 - August 19, 2019

- Development period starts -- August 17, 2019

- Development period ends -- October 1, 2019

- Teams demo at Poster/Demo Reception -- October, 2, 2019 (during the
Poster/Demo reception in the main conference)

## CALL FOR PARTICIPATION (CFP)

For the first time ever, ACM MobileHCI 2019 is organizing a student
competition (SC) during the main conference. The challenge will be to
augment human capabilities and advance the interactive experience. Is your
work pushing the boundaries of human sensing and cognitive capabilities?
Are you excited by the prospect of presenting your ideas to the world?

The MobileHCI SC is an outstanding opportunity to showcase your creativity
to leaders in the field, turn your ideas into reality, and win fabulous
prizes. Projects featured at the poster/demo reception in the main
conference of MobileHCI 2019 in Taipei, and contest winners will be
announced at the conference.  A jury will vote on the Most Creative and
Best Implementation and conference attendees will vote for their favorite
teams in the People's Choice.

# HARDWARE PLATFORM AND SOFTWARE TOOL

** JiNS MEME

JiNS MEME is eyewear with frame-mounted sensors to obtain
electro-oculography (EOG) data and acceleration/angular rate by simply
wearing the eyewear. A blink and eye movement detection can be done with
these sensors on the eyewear. The data collected by this system makes it
possible for users to characterize their daily activities (e.g., reading,
typing, and talking) and gain insight into their mental state throughout
the day, which can then be used as information for various applications.
JiNS MEME allows users to shift their attention from objects in the
external world to the mental operations that characterize their inner
mental realm.

Each selected team will receive one or two pairs of JINS MEME ES_R Smart
Glasses and a Hauoli MobilTrakk motion tracking system to form the basis of
a cognition augmentation system. These groundbreaking systems are outlined
in the following:

*** JINS MEME ES_R Smart Glasses

JiNS MEME eyewear is equipped with multiple sensors:

1. Three-point electro-oculography (EOG) sensor

The EOG sensor in the nose pads monitors patterns in blinking and eye
movements in order to characterize the user’s physical condition in terms
of concentration capacity, fatigue, and composure.

2. Six-axis (accelerometer and gyroscope) sensor

The six-axis sensors are able to detect even the slightest changes in the
orientation of the body to assist in characterizing the user’s physical and
mental state.

Each team will also receive a complete development pack (for FREE!). They
will also receive one to two pairs of JiNS MEME ES_R providing Android and
iOS SDK connectivity to allow the uploading of raw sensor data from the
JiNS MEME eyewear to a mobile APP via Bluetooth in real-time.

For details, please refer to the official website for SDK and documentation.

[1] JiNS MEME ES_R Spec:
https://jins-meme.com/en/researchers/specifications/

[2] JiNS MEME ES_R SDK: https://jins-meme.github.io

The following Youtube videos provide demonstrations of the JiNS MEME
glasses.

[video1] JiNS MEME eyewear looks into you to stop fatigue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOeANYANz-Q

[video2] JiNS MEME experiment in driver:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeX6Wi4AlHQ

** Hauoli MobilTrakk: Device-Free Motion Tracking SDK

In additional to JiNS MEME eyewear, we provide another sensing technique as
an option which you can add on top of the JiNS MEME eyewear. The Hauoli
MobilTrakk motion tracking system uses the speaker and microphone built
into smartphones to achieve (I) mm-scale accuracy, (II) smartphone
connectivity without the need for additional hardware or infrastructure,
and (III) functionality in areas with obstructions and variable lighting
conditions. The Hauoli motion tracking system is nearly unlimited in terms
of applicability. A simple wave of the hand could be used to change TV
channels, control the air conditioner, pilot a drone, or participate in
video games with fine-grained motion control, such as first person
shooters. It can even be used in VR/AR systems or even controlling drones.

Each selected team in the competition will receive the Hauoli MobilTrakk
Device-Free SDK for iOS or Android. The SDK makes it possible to develop
mobile APPs that use the distance from the mobile device to one’s hand (or
any moving object around the phone). Further details can be found on the
official website.

[1] Hauoli MobilTrakk Device-Free SDK:
https://www.hauoli.co/mobiltrakk-df.html

# MOBILEHCI 2019 STUDENT COMPETITION: HUMAN AUGMENTATION

** MOTIVATION

Recent achievements in sensor technology, device miniaturization, wireless
networking, AI/machine learning, and data analysis methods have advanced
the design and proliferation of connected devices. We are just getting the
first glimpses of the Internet of Things, wearable devices, AR/VR devices,
and highly immersive virtual environments. Unfortunately, many people lack
the cognitive and processing capabilities required to keep up with many of
these advancements. We envision the development of human augmentation
schemes aimed at amplifying human cognition and processing power. Such
devices will require advancements in three main areas: (1) Sensing hardware
and algorithms: Multimodal sensing is expected to raise sensing
capabilities to the next level; (2) Feedback: Researchers will develop
feedback schemes that provide intuitive access to human participants; (3)
AI: Sophisticated software solutions will make it possible to leverage
multimodal sensing data via intelligent information processing.

** CHALLENGE: Interactions Without Saying a Word

Your goal will be to formulate a method that enables meaningful
interactions with other entities (people or machines) without explicit
language verbalization (e.g., using speech recognition) or language
transcription (i.e., using a touchscreen or keyboard/mouse). The first
problem will be to figure out other ways to express your intent. It will
then be necessary to identify tasks that would benefit from an interaction
method that does not involve speech or writing. Your system should motivate
the use-case that clearly articulates the reasons for discarding
conventional linguistic interactions (e.g., speech or writing). Your system
should also clearly illustrate how substantive interactions could otherwise
be achieved. Keep in mind that multi-user interactions are crowd favorites
at MobileHCI, so try not to limit yourselves to single user situations.

** DESIGN SPACE

There is really no limit to the configuration of your system. The only
constraint is the need to engage in meaningful interactions without saying
a word; i.e., a communication channel that does not rely on speech or
writing.

>>> Sensing Space:

- Target: Gaze direction? Facial expressions? Gestures? Body language?

- Sensors: The proposed system must be based on JiNS MEME eyewear; however,
we expect that other sensors will also be required, such as the Hauoli
MobilTrakk motion tracker, IR, depth/camera, EMG, frequency analysis, or
EEG. The sensors could be implemented on any area of the users’ body, such
as in eyewear.

>>> Output Space:

- Machine Interactions: Could gaze direction be used to play games? How
difficult would it be to use gestures to control appliances?

- Context-Aware tasks: Providing assistance when and where it is needed?
Issuing warnings of driver drowsiness?

- Multi-user collaboration: Would it be possible to feed users data
pertaining to the intent, emotional states, or focus of those with whom
they are interacting?

- Feedback solutions: Outputting inference results (based on sensing data)
via visual representations, haptics, and/or tactile feedback.

>>> Interaction Space:

- Form-factor and wearability: Could 3D-printing be used to alter the form
of glasses?

- Attachments on glasses: Could cameras, 3D Scanners, micro-projectors, or
other devices be installed in eyewear?

Simply mixing and matching these three primitives could prompt a multitude
of exciting ideas. Feel free to add custom hardware, sensors, and
components. The hardware provided for the competition is meant to be used
as a minimal starting kit from which to explore new possibilities.

# LOGISTICS

Each selected team will receive a pair of JINS MEME ES_R Smart Glasses
(JINS MEME Academic Pack: https://jins-meme.github.io). The development
kits of JINS MEME ES_R (Academic Pack) for Windows, Android and Mac can be
found at the following address:
https://github.com/jins-meme/ES_R-Development-Kit. Moreover, each team will
receive the Hauoli MobilTrakk Device-Free SDK for iOS or Android.

When you provide your initial proposal, please specify the number of JiNS
MEME eyewear sets you will need, and list some of the sensors you plan to
use. This will make it easier for use to evaluate your idea. Online video
tutorials and documentations will also be provided to ensure that you have
everything you need to realize your vision.

# REGISTRATION

All participating teams must follow the instructions outlined on this form (
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfRYWpKBZbUc6RJKXbk-ieNePv8ULwD0jOurlvq_JX9irPjlA/viewform).
The submission deadline is August 5, 2019.

Your submission should include the following:

- A description of your idea (roughly 150-words)

- Supporting document (SIGCHI extended abstract format, 4-page max.)

- Link to supporting materials (images, video, etc.)

Completion of all items on Registration Page (contact info, etc.).
Decisions will be emailed to each team by August 16, 2019.

At least one member from each of the teams accepted into the competition
will have to register for the MobileHCI conference and pay the registration
fee. If you have already been accepted as a student volunteer, please
inform us of this. Once your MobileHCI conference registration has been
confirmed, your hardware will be shipped to you at no expense.

# CONTEST RULES, DETAILS, and SUGGESTIONS

>>> Pre-Selection Criteria: Organizers will select a minimum of 15 teams
based on usefulness, creativity, complexity, feasibility, and time/resource
constraints.

>>> Team Size: The minimum team size is 2, and the maximum team size is 5.

>>> Team Composition: Each team member is limited to membership on only one
team.

>>>Eligibility: All participants must currently be enrolled as students
(high school, college, university, Master’s program, PhD students).
International students are welcome.

>>> Registration Requirement: At least one member from each of the teams
accepted into the competition will have to register for the MobileHCI
conference and pay the registration fee. If your team is accepted, at least
one of your team members MUST register for the conference (or be accepted
as a student volunteer). This is for three reasons: 1) you have to demo
your idea, 2) you have to claim your prizes, and 3) MobileHCI is an awesome
conference!

>>> Demo Ideas: Teams will be permitted to demo only one idea; however,
teams will be allowed to demo one idea during the contest voting period.
They will be allowed to present multiple demos of that idea.

>>> Demo Code: We encourage you to open-source your code. Conference
organizers will create a github organization to which all teams are
expected to post their code. Note that teams will not be judged according
to the quality of the code they submit.

>>> Demo Safety: Make sure your demos follow reasonable safety guidelines.
Setting fire to the jury or inciting an international incident will be
frowned upon.

>>> Extra Equipment: Teams will have to bring the computers and hardware
required to run their demos, including the hardware shipped by the contest
organizers. No additional equipment will be available at MobileHCI.

>>> Power Supply: A powerstrip (Type-B plug) and 110-volt power supply will
be provided at each demo table. Nonetheless, we recommend that you bring
your own regional power strip with an appropriate adapter for connecting
your hardware.

>>> WiFi: WiFi connectivity is available at the conference; however, please
be aware of bandwidth restrictions. Teams are welcome to use WiFi as a part
of their demos; however, we recommend having a Plan B, such as a router.

>>> Bluetooth: Please test your Bluetooth system carefully beforehand. Note
that some bluetooth firmware is easily stressed when 300 attendees are
around your demo with BT enabled devices. Make sure you have a plan B.

# AWARDS

Innovation comes in many forms. At MobileHCI SC, awards will be presented
in the following categories:

>>> Most Creative (Jury) : USD $900

>>> Best Implementation (Jury) : USD $900

>>> People's Choice (Attendee Votes) : USD $200

All teams are free to bring home their hardware kits. Winners will receive
cash prizes and a MobileHCI SC certificate. Note that we reserve the right
to change the awards structure during the contest.

# QUESTIONS ?

Please contact Student Competition Co-Chairs (