Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2020 12:08:52 -0800
Sender:
From:
Richmond Wong <[log in to unmask]>
Submission deadline for position papers/essays/other formats is February
12, 2020.
The workshop will take place Saturday, April 25:
https://hci-uncertainty.github.io/
More details below:

*WORKSHOP DESCRIPTION*
Uncertainty is prevalent characteristic of contemporary life, and a central
challenge of HCI. This one-day workshop will explore how HCI has and might
continue to engage uncertainty as a generative feature in design, as
opposed to a force to mitigate and control. We hope to convene researchers
from broad ranging areas to explore the many ways in which uncertainty
appears in our research and the different types of responses that HCI has
to offer. There is an incredible variety of conceptual formulations of
uncertainty and related ideas like risk, ambiguity, and suspense that raise
both difficult challenges as well as significant opportunities for creative
engagement with societal challenges. During the workshop, we won’t seek to
“solve” uncertainty but rather expand the ways in which we think about and
navigate it. In doing so, we will experiment with and contribute to new
practices, methods, and concepts for embracing uncertainty. Outcomes of the
workshop will include documentation of exercises designed to evoke
uncertainty in participants, concept mappings, and a collection of short
essays written and refined by participants.

*SUBMISSION GUIDELINES*
To apply, please send a 4-5 page position paper to [log in to unmask]
before February 12th, 2020. Position papers should be the ACM Extended
Abstract format and take one of the following forms:

   - “Keyword” style essays that take on topics related to uncertainty in
   HCI, including but not limited to: risk,  speculation, precarity,
   ambiguity, instability, hope, precision, underdetermination, insurance. For
   relevant examples in the design field, see:
   https://culanth.org/fieldsights/series/keywords-for-ethnography-and-design
   - Examples of original research, artworks, films, pictorials, or other
   creative pieces that deal with questions of uncertainty in HCI in novel or
   compelling fashion.
   - Practice-based or methods pieces that explore HCI and design
   strategies for coping with, leveraging, or otherwise engaging uncertainty.
   - Additional formats, including essays that draw upon historical
   approaches to dealing with uncertainty, theoretical pieces, or otherwise
   will be considered. Feel free to email organizers with questions or ideas.

The workshop will take place as part of the ACM CHI Conference on Human
Factors in Computing Systems in Honolulu, Hawaii during April 2020. More
information about the conference is here: https://chi2020.acm.org. At least
one author of each accepted position paper will be required to register for
the workshop and at least one day of the conference.

More information about this workshop can be found at:
https://hci-uncertainty.github.io/.  Please email any questions to:

Richmond Wong <http://people.ischool.berkeley.edu/~richmond/>
PhD Candidate, School of Information,
University of California, Berkeley