Sender:
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 2020 10:43:48 +0000
From:
Dimosthenis Kontogiorgos <[log in to unmask]>
Conversational agents that interact with users in everyday settings are becoming more commonplace, yet their identity​ has not yet been a key point of investigation. With this workshop, we open up discussion on the relationship between multimodality and identity of digital agents. ​Who “lives” in which devices or bodies and how may agents’ use of multimodal cues add to or conflict with their identity? Multi-disciplinary teams of researchers are welcomed to explore opportunities and challenges of an identity of an artificial agent that may transfer between multiple devices, the perception therein of having a single identity across various contexts and “bodies”, and the possibility of multi​-identity​ that may come with multimodality.

Website: https://sites.google.com/view/agentidentity/home
Submission:  https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=caimc2020

Topics:

As talking interfaces are at a nascent stage of popularization and development, we look forward to submissions on how an identity or identities can be constructed with:
1) multiple modalities,
2) single modality across different devices, and
3) multiple modalities across different devices (or bodies) with diverse sets of modalities.

Which modalities signal what identity or identities, and why? Papers can be of exploratory, provocative, or theoretical nature, and we also welcome empirical works.

Submission Guidelines:

The following paper categories are welcome:
• Extended abstracts with bios (2 to 3 pages)
• Short papers (4 to 5 pages)
• Long papers (6 to 8 pages)

Important Dates:

Submission deadline: 21 August 2020
Notification: 18 September 2020
Camera-ready: 30 September 2020
Workshop: 25 October 2020

Committees

Organizing committee
• Minha Lee, PhD Student at Eindhoven University of Technology
• Dimosthenis Kontogiorgos, PhD Student at KTH Royal Institute of Technology
• Ilaria Torre, PostDoc at KTH Royal Institute of Technology
• Andre Pereira, Researcher at KTH Royal Institute of Technology
• Dirk Heylen, Professor at University of Twente

Program Committee
• Asbjørn Følstad, Senior Researcher at SINTEF
• Gijs Huisman, Senior Researcher at the Amsterdam University of Applied Science’s Digital Society School
• Jose David Águas Lopes, Research Associate at Heriot-Watt University
• Michal Luria, PhD Student at Carnegie Mellon University
• Hannah Pelikan, PhD Student at Linköping University
• Ronald Cumbal, PhD Student at KTH Royal Institute of Technology
• Sean Andrist, Researcher at Microsoft Research
• Joakim Gustafson, Professor at KTH Royal Institute of Technology
• Aske Mottelson, PostDoc at University of Copenhagen
• Sam Thellman, PhD Student at Linköping University

Invited Speakers
• Iolanda Leite, Associate Professor at KTH Royal Institute of Technology
• Catherine Pelachaud, Professor and Director of Research in the laboratory ISIR, Sorbonne University

Venue (COVID-19)

This workshop is co-located with the 2020 ACM International Conference on Multimodal Interaction (ICMI 2020). Given that the current situation with COVID-19 is continuously evolving, we are still finalizing the final format of the workshop. We are going to decide on the format according to the format of the ICMI conference. We will publish the papers of the workshop regardless on the workshop format (in Utrecht, or virtual) and will host a mixed or fully virtual set of discussions and panel.

Contact

All questions about submissions should be emailed to Minha Lee at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.