Sender:
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 2020 17:45:17 +0100
From:
Call for Chapters

Game Dynamics and Virtual Worlds. Procedural and Story-Driven Content
Generation
Springer Nature

Editors
Oliver Korn (Affective & Cognitive Institute, Offenburg University,
Newton Lee (Institute for Education, Research, and Scholarships,
Daniel Görlich (SRH Hochschule Heidelberg,

Overview
Games and virtual worlds are not only  highly interactive but also able to
“talk back”. Often elements in these worlds change dynamically, making them
livelier and more realistic. Examples include shop inventories, enemy
placement, looks of characters, attack patterns, or even complex behaviors
of non-player characters. In many cases, these dynamics are driven by a
combination of random seeds, a recorded history of player behavior, and
procedural algorithms. In some cases, virtual worlds and games even
incorporate players’ real-world behavior (e.g. head movement) to create
dynamic responses.

This book is the successor of the successful Springer book Game Dynamics
from 2017. Its purpose is to showcase best practices of dynamic processes in
games and virtual worlds. We are especially interested in examples
illustrating how dynamic elements improve the user experience and increase
either the replay value of games or the attractiveness of virtual worlds.

The topic is interdisciplinary. We invite contributions from researchers and
practitioners from game studies, the virtual reality industry, computer
sciences, human-computer interaction, psychology, cognitive sciences, and
other disciplines.

Topics
Topics include, but are not limited to:
- dynamics in games and virtual worlds related to behaviors (e.g. NPC,
enemies) and props (e.g. items, plants)
- user experience studies on the effect of dynamic elements in games and
virtual worlds
- algorithms and tools to create dynamic and highly immersive content
- managing dynamic content creation in development teams
- content generation through visual, node-based scripting (e.g. in game
engines or graphics suites)
- use of artificial intelligence to create dynamic interaction
- incorporation of user behavior into games and virtual worlds (e.g. via
body tracking)
- using dynamics to overcome the restrictions of mobile devices
- dynamics in VR settings, especially in multi-user scenarios

Submission
In the first step, we invite researchers and practitioners to submit a short
chapter proposal (max. 900 words abstract) by January 10, explaining the
main concept of their article. Author anonymity is not required.
Please submit you abstract at EasyChair via
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=gdvw2022

Important Dates (all 2021)
January 10: Chapter Proposal Submission (max. 900 words)
January 31: Notification of Proposal Acceptance
April 30: Full Chapter Submission
June 27: Review Results Returned
September 26: Final Chapter Submission
until December: preparation for release in January 2022

All submitted chapters are peer-reviewed on a single-blind review basis (so
you do not need to anonymize the text).
Contributors may be asked to work as reviewers.

If you have any questions: feel free to contact me.

Best, Oliver
Prof. Dr. Oliver Korn
Human Computer Interaction
Director ACI: Affective & Cognitive Institute

Offenburg University of Applied Sciences

Badstr. 24, 77652 Offenburg, Germany
Tel.  +49 (0) 781 / 205 - 4690  |  Fax: -45-4821

www.affective-lab.org
www.hs-offenburg.de