Please post, Thanks, Marcia Bates
Humanizing Information Technology: From Ideas to Bits and Back
American Society for Information Science and Technology
Long Beach, CA Oct. 20-23, 2003
CALL FOR PAPERS: Papers, posters and presentations are solicited in a
wide variety of information and technology
related areas, including:
* Information management, knowledge management, organization and
access, including classification and representation, metadata,
taxonomies, indexing, XML,information architecture, digital libraries.
* Information seeking and use, including research on the role of
information in daily lives and in work and the professions, use of various
types of information technology, social contexts of information seeking.
* Information retrieval: information system performance, search engines,
natural language processing, data mining, intelligent retrieval, multi- and
* Interactivity: user and usability studies, design of human-computer
interfaces, visualization, for all types of information technology.
* Ethical, social, political, legal and economic issues related to the role of
information in society, such as privacy, copyright, information policy, as
well as the social role of information technologies such as the Internet and
the World Wide Web.
* Information production, transfer, and delivery, electronic publishing and
* Technologies for computing and networking: information
communication, collaboration, information security, e-commerce.
The conference themes will be explored by keynote and invited speakers,
and through refereed papers, posters, panels, and technical sessions.
Participation is invited through submission of papers and posters, and
proposals for panels, technical and other sessions on topics related to the
January 28, 2003: Contributed papers and proposals for technical and
special sessions due
February 24, 2003: Proposals for posters due
March 27, 2003: Authors/proposers notified
May 15, 2003: Camera-ready copy due
Complete call for participation is at
Marcia J. Bates, Ph.D.
Department of Information Studies
Graduate School of Education and Information Studies
University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1520 USA