From:
Robert Mack SIGCHI <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 16:58:38 -0500

History Keeping in Computer Applications: a Workshop

  Friday, December 3, 1999
  CONTACT: Janet Sumida <[log in to unmask]>

     Human-Computer Interaction Laboratory
     University of Maryland at College Park
     Room 2120 - A.V. Williams building

OVERVIEW

History-keeping has long been a part of many types of interactive
systems.  In their simplest form, histories permit user actions
to be logged and recorded, making them accessible in various ways for
recovery and backtracking. With the advent of interactive systems
and networking, rich history mechanisms have become essential for
applications where navigation and orientation are critical.
Various strategies have been developed for history dynamics in browser
programs and for temporally-based history visualization.  Current
research in learning histories considers the hypothesis that
providing learners with a readable record of their actions may help them
monitor their behavior and reflect on their progress.  Moreover,
histories can facilitate active collaboration among dispersed learning
communities

The University of Maryland Human-Computer Interaction Laboratory
(HCIL) has been working on histories and is organizing a workshop
(with a maximum of 25 participants) to help consolidate this emerging
 topic.  We invite active researchers to come to College Park to
present their work and discuss future directions.

We are planning a program that will include:
- The Future of History (Ben Shneiderman)
- History in Web Browsing and Image Browsing (Ben Bederson)
- The Learning Historian (Anne Rose and Catherine Plaisant)
- Search Histories for User Support in Information Seeking Interfaces
    (Anita Komlodi)
- Client-Server Architecture for Rich Visual History Interfaces
    (Richard Salter).

Potential participants are invited to send an application letter
describing their work and offering a title and abstract of the
talk they would like to present.  Please e-mail letter to Richard
Salter <[log in to unmask]> by Monday, November 15, 1999. =20
Abstracts will be collected into a program and distributed to
 participants.

ARRANGEMENTS

There is no charge to participants. Refreshments and copying of
handouts will be paid for by HCIL.

Location: The workshop will be held in ROOM 2120 (UMIACS conference
room) in the A. V. Williams Building where the HCIL facilities are
located on the College Park campus.

If you plan to drive a car, send your postal address to Janet
Sumida <[log in to unmask]> and she can mail you a parking
permit for a lot in near the building.

Hotels, travel:  Participants will be responsible for their
travel and housing. The campus is just northeast of Washington,
DC (taxi or Metro ride from National or Dulles Airports) and 25
miles south of Baltimore-Washington Airport. We are close to Amtrak's
Washington, DC and New Carrollton, MD stations.

A block of rooms has been reserved at the University of Maryland
University College Inn and Conference Center, located on campus .

Equipment for talks: There is a 1024 x 768 computer projector
for PC-based presentations and demos, an overhead projector and a TV
for showing videos.  We will have a good quality IBM PC portable in
the room as well. If you need 35mm slides or access to a machine for
demos in the lab, let us know in advance and we will try to
arrange it. Our lab has PCs, Macs and Sun Workstations; other types of
machines can probably be found in the building.

Handouts: If you have brief materials you want to handout to
participants, bring a good original and we will make
copies, or contact Janet Sumida ([log in to unmask]) in advance.

Contact telephone during the day: Janet Sumida's number is (301)
405-2769, UMIACS general telephone number is (301) 405-6722.

For questions and special needs contact HCIL secretary
Janet Sumida <[log in to unmask]>.

WORKSHOP ORGANIZERS

Richard Salter, Ben Shneiderman, Ben Bederson, Gary Rubloff,
Catherine Plaisant, Anne Rose

Sponsored by HCIL, UMIACS and ISR

** For more information see our Web page **

http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/about/events/history-workshop/