From:
Gökçe Elif Baykal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gökçe Elif Baykal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Feb 2020 21:31:20 +0000
Dear colleagues,

We would like to invite researchers, designers and children to submit a design concept that builds on children's ideas in the earlier phase of the 2020 ACM Interaction Design and Children (IDC)<https://idc.acm.org/2020/call-for-papers/research-and-design-competition/> Research & Design (R&D) Competition.

In the first phase of the R&D Competition, children all over the world were invited to submit their ideas for technologies that address some of the problems our planet faces today: e.g. climate change, the loss of animal and plant species, inequality between people. We received an amazing range of ideas that are now the basis for the second stage of the competition. We have created a collection of the ideas here<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1XPUqtFRVNb4H8VqDmg9Bn4gUGERbaqozcl8iC-REFlY/edit#slide=id.p> in our booklet-have a look!

In this second phase, we invite researchers and designers to submit a design concept (not actual artefacts) that responds to the same brief and builds on one or more of the ideas of children. Each submission should have the form of a 2-4 page summary (not including references nor acknowledgements) in CHI Extended Abstract format<https://idc.acm.org/2020/chi-proceedings-format/> for the adult judges (the track chairs and expert reviewers), accompanied by a short, 1-minute video (uploaded to a publicly accessible website) that presents the concept to our child judges (think CHI madness made for kids). You can also submit any supplementary material (e.g., drawings, sketches, photos) to explain your concept.

The submissions will be judged by the children who submitted their ideas on the basis of the videos, and by the adult jury, who will consider the paper and all other material. The criteria for selecting the best submissions are:

*       responds to the brief in innovative ways

*       incorporates ideas and triggers from children, and explicitly acknowledges those ideas

*       speculates about the future in interesting ways

*       raises (research) questions for the field

*       is well-designed and presented

The design ideas created by the children may not only inspire professional designers and researchers to create a design concept, but also other children. This year, we will therefore also run a junior competition and invite children in primary and secondary school to submit a description of their design to answer the requests of their peers. Each submission should be made by a one-minute video presenting the concept and a 2/4 pages explanation written in English and understandable by the child-jury who will judge each work with help from the adult jury. The criteria for selecting the best submissions are:

*       responds to the brief in innovative ways

*       incorporates ideas and triggers from other children, and explicitly acknowledges those ideas

*       speculates about the future in interesting ways

*       is designed and presented in a way that is understandable by the child-jury

Important Dates:

*       R&D Competition open until 16 March 2020

*       Notifications to competition winners by 16 April 2020

*       Camera-ready deadline on 4 May 2020

*       Presentation at the conference 22 - 24 June 2020.

Challenge / Brief
Reviewing and building on children's ideas<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1XPUqtFRVNb4H8VqDmg9Bn4gUGERbaqozcl8iC-REFlY/edit#slide=id.p> from Phase I as inspiration to design something that address some of the problems our planet faces today.

Presentation & Prize
There will be at least three top submissions chosen to be presented in short talks and/or posters at the conference in London, UK. Therefore, at least one author from each of these top submissions must register and attend the conference. The selected short papers will also be included in the conference proceedings and archived in the ACM digital library. The award ceremony, announcing the first place winner, will take place during the conference dinner.

How to submit
Please upload your extended abstract (2-4 pages, excluding references and acknowledgements) and 1-minute video submissions to Precision Conference<https://new.precisionconference.com/submissions>.

Your ideas are your ideas
Like in the first stage of this competition, it is important for us to make clear that all contributions are owned by their creators (children, researchers and designers). In your submission, please acknowledge on whose ideas<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1XPUqtFRVNb4H8VqDmg9Bn4gUGERbaqozcl8iC-REFlY/edit#slide=id.p> from Phase I of the competition you build your concepts.

Questions: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Looking forward to seeing many of you in IDC 2020!

Natalia Kucirkova, Gökçe Elif Baykal & Seray Ibrahim

IDC'20 Communication Chairs, on behalf of Mina Vasalou & Elisa Rubegni - Conference General Chairs