From:
Laura Maye <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Maye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 May 2020 14:28:46 +0100
Apologies for any cross-posting. Please join us virtually for our workshop
at Designing Interactive Systems (DIS 2020) conference on 6-7 July!

*---------------------------------*
*Making Civic Initiatives Last: Ecosystems, Technologies,Approaches and
Challenges*

This workshop aims to collect experiences, tools, and insights that help civic
initiatives last beyond a project lifespan. To that purpose, we bring
together researchers and practitioners interested in how to make civic
initiatives have a lasting impact. We welcome participants with different
interests: from active participants in citizen-driven initiatives, over
companies working in this domain to researchers investigating how project
outcomes affect people’s capacity to act on their ideas and desires. During
the workshop we will collaboratively explore how researchers and
practitioners might contribute to making civic initiatives last through
design. What tools, methods, platforms, sensibilities or civic resources
are needed? What legal frameworks are missing? And what research agendas
are outstanding?

The workshop will take place 6-7 July and will be structured as shared
video-call sessions as well as working together in smaller groups with
participants around individual workshop themes and cases. This organisation
allows us to accommodate DIS 2020’s online conference format, and the
different time zones we may all be in, and preparation workload will be
light. Instead, there will be ample opportunity to meet, present, and
network in the shared sessions. During the workshop we will discuss the
work of each participant in relation to the overarching themes and
collaboratively produce an outline for an edited volume on making civic
initiatives last.

*Submitting: In order to participate in this workshop, you must submit a
single poster (1 page no rules for content, go wild) by June 8th 23:59
(anywhere) to [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> describing your own
work or a specific project you worked on, as well as what motivates your
interest in the workshop, and how your work relates to the workshop themes.
Make clear in your submission which of these themes your submission refers
to:*

   -

   Tools and technology
   -

   Roles and responsibilities
   -

   Methods, approaches, processes and activities
   -

   Value and meaning
   -

   Processes to bridge the participation divide

The output of the workshop will be the start of an outline of an edited
volume with participants as writers on individual chapters, and the
workshop organizers as the editors. The volume will not be peer reviewed,
but open-access and freely available, and will be advertised widely.

For more information see the workshop website at
www.makingcivicinitiativeslast.wordpress.com.

The website will also include further details of the workshop schedule in
due course.

We look forward to hearing from you!

*Workshop organisers:*

Nicolai Brodersen Hansen