Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 2020 18:11:28 +0000
From:
Flavio Figueiredo <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
**Important Note** We are continuously monitoring the COVID-19 situation and considering alternatives to allow for remote participation to both the main conference and workshops should disruptions still occur in late September.

We are pleased to invite you to contribute to the 14th ACM Conference on Recommender Systems (RecSys 2020), the premier venue for research and applications of recommendation technologies. The upcoming RecSys conference will be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, from September 22nd to September 26th, 2020. The conference will continue RecSys' practice of connecting the research and practitioner communities to exchange ideas, frame problems, and share solutions. All accepted papers will be published by ACM.

We invite submissions on all aspects of recommender systems, including applications ranging from e-commerce to social networking, and a wide variety of technologies ranging from collaborative filtering to knowledge-based reasoning or deep learning. We welcome new research on recommendation technologies coming from very diverse communities ranging from psychology to mathematics. In particular, we care as much about the human and economic impact of these systems as we care about their underlying algorithms.

Topics of interest for RecSys 2020 include but are not limited to (alphabetically ordered):
* Algorithm scalability, performance, and implementations
* Bias, fairness, bubbles and ethics of recommender systems
* Case studies of real-world implementations
* Context-aware recommender systems
* Conversational recommender systems (e.g., conversational interaction, spoken language interfaces, dialogue systems)
* Cross-domain recommendation
* Economic models and consequences of recommender systems
* Evaluation metrics and studies
* Explanations and evidence
* Innovative/New applications
* Interfaces for recommender systems
* Novel machine learning approaches to recommendation algorithms
* Preference elicitation
* Privacy and security
* Social recommenders
* User modelling
* User studies
* Voice, VR, and other novel interaction paradigms

Authors will be asked to assign a selection of predefined custom tags to describe their paper in the submission system. Tags can be assigned to indicate algorithms, interfaces, automated or user-centric evaluations, for example. Reviewers will also report their expertise over these tags, and the information will be used in review assignments.

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

All submissions and reviews will be handled electronically. Papers must be submitted to PCS by 23:59, AoE (Anywhere on Earth) on May 4th, 2020. There will be no extensions to the submission deadline.

Formatting. ACM is changing the archive format of its publications to separate content from presentation in the new Digital Library, enhance accessibility, and improve the flexibility and resiliency of our publications. Following the new ACM publication workflow, all authors should submit manuscripts for review in a single-column format. Instructions for Word and LaTeX authors are given below:

* Microsoft Word: Write your paper using the Submission Template (Review Submission Format). Follow the embedded instructions to apply the paragraph styles to your various text elements. The text is in single-column format at this stage and no additional formatting is required at this point.
* LaTeX: Please use the latest version of the Master Article Template - LaTeX
  (1.67; published January 14, 2020) to create your article submission. Use the "manuscript" call to create a single-column format for review. Please review the LaTeX documentation and ACM’s LaTeX best practices guide for further instructions. To ensure 100% compatibility with The ACM Publishing System (TAPS), please restrict the use of packages to the whitelist of approved LaTeX packages.

Authors are strongly encouraged to provide "alt text" (alternative text) for floats (images, tables, etc.) in their content so that readers with disabilities can be given descriptive information for these floats that are important to the work. The descriptive text will be displayed in place of a float if the float cannot be loaded. This benefits the author as well as it broadens the reader base for the author's work. Moreover, the alt text provides in-depth float descriptions to search engine crawlers, which helps to properly index these floats.

Should you have any questions or issues going through the instructions above, please contact support at [log in to unmask] for both LaTeX and Microsoft Word inquiries.

Accepted papers will be later submitted to ACM's new production platform where authors will be able to review PDF and HTML output formats before publication.

Anonymity. The peer review process is double-blind (i.e. anonymized). This means that all submissions must not include information identifying the authors or their organization. Specifically, do not include the authors' names and affiliations, anonymize citations to your previous work and avoid providing any other information that would allow to identify the authors, such as acknowledgments and funding. However, it is acceptable to explicitly refer in the paper to the companies or organizations that provided datasets, hosted experiments or deployed solutions, if there is no implication that the authors are currently affiliated with the mentioned organization.

Originality. Each paper should not be previously published or accepted to any peer-reviewed journal or conference/workshop, nor currently under review elsewhere (including as another paper submission for RecSys 2020). We generally discourage authors to submit the same paper to institutional or other preprint repositories such as arXiv.org before the reviewing process is complete, because it will place anonymity at risk. Please refer to the ACM Publishing License Agreement and Authorship Policy for further details.

Plagiarism. Plagiarized papers will not be accepted for RecSys 2020. Our committees will be checking the plagiarism level of all submitted papers to ensure content originality using an automated tool. Hence, authors are advised in their own interest to use a similar tool (e.g., iThenticate, Turnitin, Viper, PlagScan, etc.) to check the plagiarism level of their manuscripts before submission. The originality report generated by the tool may also be submitted at the time of paper submission.

Papers violating any of the above guidelines are subject to rejection without review.

Patenting. Please take note that the official publication date is the date the proceedings are made available in the ACM Digital Library. This date may be up to two weeks prior to the first day of the conference. The official publication date affects the deadline for any patent filings related to published work.

PAPER SUBMISSION CATEGORIES

LONG PAPERS should report on substantial contributions of lasting value. The maximum length is 14 pages (excluding references) in the new single-column format. Each accepted long paper will be included in the conference proceedings and presented in a plenary session as part of the main conference program. Each accepted long paper will also be allocated a presentation slot in a poster session to encourage discussion and follow-up between authors and attendees. We expect the review process to be highly selective: the acceptance rate for full papers in the past few years was about 20%.

SHORT PAPERS typically discuss exciting new work that is not yet mature enough for a long paper. In particular, novel but significant proposals will be considered for acceptance into this category despite not having gone through sufficient experimental validation or lacking strong theoretical foundation. Applications of recommender systems to novel areas are especially welcome. The maximum length is 7 pages (excluding references) in the new single-column format. Each accepted short paper will be included in the conference proceedings and presented in a poster session. The poster presentation may include a system demonstration. Selected short papers may be invited as oral presentations. Note that rejected long paper submissions will not be considered as short papers.

SIGCHI SUBMITTER AGREEMENT

RecSys 2020 is a SIGCHI conference and making a submission to a SIGCHI conference is a serious matter. Submissions require time and effort by SIGCHI volunteers to organize and manage the reviewing process, and, if the submission is accepted, the publication and presentation process. Thus, anyone who submits to RecSys 2020 implicitly confirms the following statements:
1. I confirm that this submission is the work of myself and my co-authors.
2. I confirm that I or my co-authors hold copyright to the content, and have obtained appropriate permissions for any portions of the content that are copyrighted by others.
3. I confirm that any research reported in this submission involving human subjects has gone through the appropriate approval process at my institution.
4. I confirm that if this paper is accepted, I or one of my co-authors will attend the conference. Papers that are not presented at the conference by an author may be removed from the proceedings at the discretion of the program chairs.

IMPORTANT DATES
* Abstract submission deadline: April 27th, 2020
* Paper submission deadline: May 4th, 2020
* Author notification: July 6th, 2020
* Camera-ready version deadline: July 27th, 2020

Deadlines refer to 23:59 (11:59pm) in the AoE (Anywhere on Earth) time zone.

PROGRAM CHAIRS
* Elizabeth M. Daly, IBM Research, Ireland
* Li Chen, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong, China