From:
WILSON Cara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WILSON Cara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2022 14:32:47 +0000
Hi folks,

We warmly welcome you to attend our workshop on ‘Co-creating Futures of Care with Older Adults’ at PDC 2022<https://pdc2022.org/>!

Designing for care futures in older adulthood can often begin and end with techno-solutions for use in formal care systems, while older adults and their informal care networks are often excluded contributing their own visions for care and the future. In this workshop, we will explore how we can better design not only for but with care in older adulthood. We will apply the PDC 2022 ’Senti-Pensar’ (thinking- feeling) lens, to ask ‘how can we enact and represent design practice that is difficult to describe but is heartfelt and passionate?’ We aim to challenge current narratives of care in HCI, embracing the diversity of experiences of older adults, and facilitating discussion around a future of care that values interdependency, relationality, and thinking-feeling in design. By considering multiple perspectives on care in older adulthood, we will speculate on the role of technologies within future ecosystems of care, where care is not a commodity, but the concerted and organising principle.

We will explore our understandings of the future of care and the role of technologies, how we can work towards this future, and provoke discussions about our own speculations of a participatory technological future of care. Further details about the workshop and organisers can be found at https://carefutures.wordpress.com/

The workshop will be delivered online across two time zones (UK and Australia) on the 20th, 21st or 22nd August 2022, with exact date to be confirmed by PDC workshop chairs.

We welcome participation from people across diverse backgrounds with an interest in care futures and older adults. We invite submissions from researchers, designers, technologists, industry experts, and in keeping with our ethos of participatory design and inclusivity, we warmly welcome participation from those out with the sphere of human-computer interaction, such as older adults, aged care providers and other stakeholders with an interest in the topic. We will endeavour to support such attendance, both financially and in terms of accessibility.

Participants are invited to respond to a Q&A form, answering questions about their definitions of care, methods for supporting care in technology design, and about the future of care in the context of older adulthood. In addition, participants will be asked to share an image that they feel represents care.

Responses can be submitted using the template provided at https://bit.ly/CareFuturesWorkshop. The deadline for submissions is 13th June 2022. Participants will be notified of acceptance by 20th June 2022.

We hope to see you there!

Cara Wilson
On behalf of The Organising Committee (Diego Muñoz, Aloha Ambe, Sonja Pedell, Larissa Pschetz, Margot Brereton and John Vines)

Cara Wilson
Research Fellow
Advanced Care Research Centre (ACRC)<https://www.ed.ac.uk/usher/advanced-care-research-centre>
Design Informatics | Edinburgh College of Art
University of Edinburgh
(she/her)

The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, with registration number SC005336. Is e buidheann carthannais a th’ ann an Oilthigh Dhùn Èideann, clàraichte an Alba, àireamh clàraidh SC005336.