From:
Yoram Chisik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yoram Chisik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 2020 10:48:13 +0300
Chasing Play Potentials in Food Culture: Embracing Children’s Perspectives

A virus free virtual workshop held as part of IDC 2020

18 June 2020, Virtual London

https://playandculture.food.blog

As the Coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic has thrown schedules and plans out
the window and as we have had several inquiries we are extending the
submission deadline further till the 18thof May to allow more participants
to join in. Since we had a number of questions we would like to highlight a
few points:

1. You do not have to be a culinary expert to join this workshop we have
participants and organizers from psychology, design and computer
science.  We seek a broad set of participants with a range of ideas,
personal experiences and cultural traditions we are sure you have an
interesting story to share.

2. You do not need to develop a solid academic argument in the expression
of interest, we only seek a few bits of information (see below for further
details).

3. We will not keep you glued to the screen for a whole day!!! In switching
to a virtual format, we are reformulating the workshop to accommodate the
vagaries of time and cyberspace with a mixture of offline activities and
online discussions.  Please see the workshop structure page on the workshop
website (https://playandculture.food.blog) for more info (the plan will be
fully formulated as we go along.

3. You can register to the workshop without registering for the whole IDC
2020 conference.  The registration cost is 50USD and students can register
for free (if this is their only workshop).  The early bird registration
deadline for IDC is the 2ndof June.

4. We will accommodate time zone differences and child care needs. If you
need a few more days for submitting beyond the 18/5 deadline that can also
be arranged but do send us an email beforehand.

****** Call for Participation ******

In this workshop which will be held as part of the Interaction Design with
Children (IDC) conference (https://idc.acm.org/2020), we will explore how
food related culture and traditions can guide the design of playful
technologies and experiences for children. Using food as an accessible
starting point, we aim to bring together a diverse set of participants in
order to share and make creative use of playful traditions involving
children and food stuffs through hands-on prototyping, play and discussion.

Participants need not be culinary experts as we seek to draw on your
personal experiences and cultural traditions.

Prospective participants should submit an expression of interest via email
to [log in to unmask] by 18/May/2020 outlining the following:

1. A short (100-150 word) personal bio;

2. A short (~300 word) statement about the perspectives you bring to the
issues we will explore in the workshop;

3. A description of one or more playful food traditions from your family,
culture, community, etc;

4 strategies (if any) you (they) have used to source inspiration in
cultural play;

5. Logistical information, please indicate your location, time zone and any
other pertinent details you wish to make us aware of in planning the
virtual version of this workshop.

Further information on the workshop and its organizers as well as full
submission instructions can be found at the workshop website:
https://playandculture.food.blog

We will select participants with an eye to diversity, originality and
relevance to the workshop themes. At least one author of each accepted
expression of interest must attend the workshop and pay the applicable IDC
2020 registration fee (students can register for one workshop for free).

Full submission instructions and further information about the workshop and
its organizers can be found at: https://playandculture.food.blog

Please direct any questions to Yoram Chisik ([log in to unmask])

Hope to see you all soon at the highest resolution possible