From:
Simone Kriglstein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Simone Kriglstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 2020 14:03:12 +0200
Dear friends of TEI,

***Sorry for cross-posting***

TEI 2021 invites proposals for one-day Studios and Workshops. These
events will take place on Sunday, the 14th of February, 2021. Studios
can either be online, take place in Salzburg, Austria, or use a hybrid
format (see https://tei.acm.org/2021/participate/studios/).

Studios are a format unique to the TEI conference, providing researchers
the opportunity to deeply engage with the materials, methods and
processes used in their research. Traditionally, studios provide
hands-on experiences during which participants are introduced to new
technologies, materials, prototypes, design approaches, et cetera.

IMPORTANT DATES:

Submission deadline October 16, 2020, midnight AoE
Notification of acceptance November 13, 2020,  midnight AoE
Camera-ready deadline tba
Conference dates February 14-17, 2021

Studios will take place at the Center for Human-Computer Interaction,
where many prototyping facilities are available (electronics lab,
industrial sewing/overlock machine, wood workshop, etc.), and a Fablab
is situated next door (which houses 3D printers, laser cutters, reflow
ovens, etc.). We encourage authors of Studio proposals to take advantage
of these accommodations. Please contact the studio chairs for inquiries
about the capacities of the location and support on how to tackle the
possibility of a hybrid or virtual conference.

On the 15th anniversary of the TEI conference, we also want to encourage
authors to consider Studios that act as a platform for examining theory
and methodology related to tangible, embodied and embedded interaction.
We invite researchers from all career stages to discuss and develop a
specific topic of relevance to the TEI community. These Studio proposals
should contain a clear theoretical grounding around a problem or
opportunity, describe a plan for applied engagement with the topic, and
highlight how the outcome will provide important insights for TEI
researchers and practitioners. Proposals need to clearly specify how
such Studio results will be communicated and archived. Please contact
the studio chairs for discussing dissemination options at the
conference.

Organizers should consider how their proposal would be impacted by
potential travel restrictions. All proposals should specify if remote
participants can attend the proposed event, and if the full event can be
held remotely. We fully understand that studio submissions may rely on
in-person interaction with tools and materials, which is why we ask
authors of proposals to consider this possibility up-front. Furthermore,
we encourage authors to regularly review the TEI website for possible
updates around the conference organisation. For any questions and
clarifications around the call, the conference, or other things that may
influence submission or attendance, always feel free to get in touch
with the chairs!

Your TEI’21 Studio Chairs
Dorothé Smit
Paul Strohmeier