Sender:
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 2021 16:59:41 +0300
From:
Masood Masoodian <[log in to unmask]>

Call for Papers - INTERACT 2021 Workshop on
Designing for Aging People (DEAP 2021)
31 August 2021 – Bari, Italy
avcd.aalto.fi/deap2021/

ABOUT THE WORKSHOP

------------------------

Our modern day society is aging at an unprecedented pace, and as such,
all fields of design need to adapt and cater for the resulting
age-related changes. This workshop aims to promote debate among design
researchers and practitioners on how to better design to accommodate for
the needs of aging people, while also enabling them rather than
stigmatizing them as a lesser able segment of the population.

This aim will be achieved through having the workshop participants
contribute with their perspectives and previous experiences in the
field, through engaging and structured hands-on workshop activities.
These will increase the participants' awareness of the value of
developing effective co-design practices and ethically appropriate
processes involving older adults. Through these activities, the workshop
will bridge participants' different experiences across a range of areas,
to not only solidify and create new knowledge, but also to foster the
development of the community of designers, researchers and practitioners
involved in designing for aging people.

We believe that it is important to consider the topic of aging
carefully, and bring it to the forefront of design research and
practice, because the way in which we design for/with the aging people
will shape their future experiences, and this in turn will shape our
society as a whole. This workshop is the third in a series of workshops,
following from those we previously held at IFIP ICEC 2018 (DEAP 2018)
and INTERACT 2019 (DEAP 2019) conferences

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

------------------------

We invite the potential participants to submit short position papers,
presenting their own approaches and/or arguing for novel approaches to
designing for aging people. The contributions may describe processes of
ideation, design, prototyping, development, evaluation, and deployment
of digital products, technologies, tools, and services. They may
originate from a range of topics and areas of interest, including, but
not limited to:

  *

    Addressing healthy aging, quality of life and well-being, social
    aspects, education, entertainment, advocacy, activism, or
    entrepreneurship;

  *

    Critical, speculative, participatory, or any other novel design
    approaches;

  *

    Ethical and responsible design;

  *

    Ageism-free design approaches;

  *

    Community- and user-led design innovation;

  *

    Case studies of deployment and use;

  *

    Co-design approaches involving multiple-stakeholder;

  *

    Acceptability and adoption.

At this stage, we hope that the workshop will be held physically at the
conference. However, should this not be possible due to the covid-19
pandemic, we will aim to hold the workshop online or in a hybrid mode.

EXPECTED OUTCOME AND DISSEMINATION

-------------------------------------

In addition to sharing and generating ideas amongst its participants,
through the planned discussion session, this workshop will actively seek
potential future outcomes. These may, for instance, include a special
issue of an international journal (e.g., Gerontechnology) and/or a
co-authored report for dissemination of the workshop results.
Furthermore, an edited book, related to the topic of this workshop and
co-edited by its organizers, is currently being negotiated with
Springer. The workshop participants will be invited to contribute
chapters on selected topics to this edited book

SUBMISSIONS

-------------

Workshop paper submissions should be of maximum 6 pages. Please prepare
paper submissions in the Springer LNCS format, using the templates
provided for CS Proceedings and other Multiauthor Volumes
(http://www.springer.com/gp/computer-science/lncs/conference-proceedings-guidelines
<http://www.springer.com/gp/computer-science/lncs/conference-proceedings-guidelines>).

Please submit your workshop paper through Easychair
(https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=deap2021
<https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=deap2021>)

IMPORTANT DATES

------------------

Paper Submission: 30 April 2021 (Extended)

Notification: 14 May 2021

Camera-ready: 4 June 2021

Workshop date: 31 August 2021

ORGANIZERS

------------

Paula Alexandra Silva, University of Coimbra (Portugal)

Masood Masoodian, Aalto University (Finland)

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

---------------------

Inês Amaral, University of Coimbra (Portugal)

Sergi Bermúdez i Badia, Universidade da Madeira (Portugal)

Leah Burns, University of Toronto (Canada)

Mónica S. Cameirão, Universidade da Madeira (Portugal)

Elena Comincioli, Aalto University (Finland)

Dohee Lee, Aalto University (Finland)

Masood Masoodian, Aalto University (Finland)

Francisco Nunes, Fraunhofer - AICOS (Portugal)

Thomas Rist, University of Applied Sciences Augsburg (Germany)

Paula Alexandra Silva, University of Coimbra (Portugal)

--
Prof. Masood Masoodian
Visual Communication Design