Sender:
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 2021 09:29:30 +0000
From:
CfP Activated: Decentering activism in and with academia (Workshop @CSCW2021)
https://activatingacademia.community/

CALL FOR PICTORIALS
Who is an activist? With the advent of activism-related scholarship in HCI and CSCW, the current challenge involves thinking about what activism is, who an activist is, and the opportunities and limitations of activism. Recently, researchers in academia and industry, such as Timnit Gebru, demonstrate a commitment to stay activated for the structural changes we need, for example, diverse and inclusive scholarship, to address overlapping problems, e.g., sexism, racism, and tokenism. Additionally, there is a continuing dominance of Western, formally educated, industrialized, rich, and democratic (WEIRD) perspectives. Countering this requires collective efforts in, citational justice and decolonial computing, among others. But such complex issues do not yet cover the inner conflicts that we face, such as mental health struggles while dismantling the prejudices stemming from the ivory tower, locating our privileges as academics while traversing less privileged locales of research sites, or the dilemmas on whether we are doing enough to fulfill our responsibilities to the people who have trusted us enough to work with us in the face of "publish or perish" culture. This workshop explores what activism means within the CSCW community and how we can remain activated while harboring doubts and hopes in calling ourselves "activists".

Themes can include, but are not limited to:

  *   Understanding activism
     *   What activities do we understand as activism? How do regional, cultural, geographic, language or other contexts shape our understanding and goals of activism? What kinds of activities and actions are recognized as activism, and why may or may they not be recognized as such? What are some of the cultural, political, and social risks surrounding activism?
  *   Academic-activist relationships
     *   What are the actual and potential relationships that exist between activism and academia? How do academics and academic institutions engage with or relate to activism within and outside the academy? What structural and/or disciplinary hurdles and difficulties exist to create frictions in our activist-academic practices? And in what kinds of cases are these kinds of frictions useful or harmful to our activist-academic practices? What kind of support can be offered in both academia and outside to ameliorate individuals' "activism fatigue" that can leave physical, psychological, and emotional scars?
  *   Unsettling activism and critiquing community fetishism
     *   Given the different ways that activism is understood and recognized within and outside of academia, how can we be truly inclusive of local perspectives rather than risking tokenistic involvement? What value conflicts may arise during different phases of activism, e.g., Western ideas of democracy vs. local norms? How can we avoid fetishizing diverse communities, norms, and abilities as academic activists? In what ways can we better support long-term activism efforts with and through CSCW as a community?

KEY DATES

Deadline for submission: September 10, 2021 (AoE)

Notification: September 20, 2021

Workshop day: October 24, 2021 (Virtual)

SUBMISSION
We welcome extended pictorials that are short pictorials of 1 to 4 pages. Please submit by emailing [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. Submissions should reflect on first-person (singular or plural, I or We) experiences, goals, worries, joys. Possible thematic areas are above, but submissions are by no means bound to correspond to these themes - we are looking forward to any and all topics participants might want to bring to the workshop. For inspiration, here are some examples of papers getting very creative: [1]<https://dl.acm.org/doi/abs/10.1145/3170427.3188408?casa_token=BSktNzRWLagAAAAA:Ap6XrHiaWlo8ecQNlXcL0ABrUvD-AVcKOR7hxWMhYsg6Rh8L5dwbs71u6l-ZvAp9yW8DuHo_MqI> [2]<https://dl.acm.org/doi/abs/10.1145/3450741.3466771> [3]<https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3196709.3196819>. If needed, templates can be accessed below (from TEI 2022<https://tei.acm.org/2022/participate/pictorials/>) alongside a Latex version (on Overleaf) in case an Extended Abstract format is preferred.

  *   InDesign template<https://tei.acm.org/2022/files/TEI2022-Pictorials-InDesign-template.zip>
  *   PowerPoint template<https://tei.acm.org/2022/files/TEI2022-Pictorials-PowerPoint-template.zip>
  *   Word template<https://tei.acm.org/2022/files/TEI2022-Pictorials-Word-template.zip>
  *   Overleaf template<https://www.overleaf.com/latex/templates/acm-conference-proceedings-primary-article-template/wbvnghjbzwpc>

ORGANIZERS
Minha Lee: Assistant Professor at the Department of Industrial Design at Eindhoven University of Technology
Max Krüger: Researcher on (forced) migration, care, and participation. PhD student at the University of Siegen.
Débora de Castro Leal: Researcher on Alternative Economics and Human-Computer Interaction. PhD student at the University of Siegen.
Angelika Strohmayer: Co-director of the Design Feminisms research group and a Senior Lecturer at Northumbria University's School of Design.
Cristina Zaga: Assistant Professor at the Human-Centred Design Group (Design and Production Management department) and the DesignLab of the University of Twente