From:
Benjamin Cowan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Benjamin Cowan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 2020 13:31:44 +0000
====Guiding the Conversation: New Theory and Design Perspectives for
Conversational User Interfaces===
===Special Issue of Human Computer Interaction Journal===

===https://madpickle.net/hcij/publicInfo/cfp_cui.pdf===

Conversational speech and text-based interfaces are growing in
popularity, through the increased uptake of speech systems like Amazon
Alexa, Siri, and Google Assistant. We have also seen the proliferation
of chatbot interfaces in service contexts. This special issue aims to
start building further critical mass around research on user-centric
issues in CUI interaction, specifically investigating how theory,
methods and empirical research can inform the development, understanding
and design of CUIs.  It aims to serve as a catalyst for new data-driven
insights, interaction paradigms, and theoretical viewpoints, for HCI
researchers interested in this growing area of study. For this special
issue, conversational interfaces are broadly defined, including
task-based as well as social, conversational and companion-based
interactions through text, speech and multimodal interaction.

===Submissions===
We encourage submissions that include, but are not limited to the
following topics:
•    Design paradigms, metaphors & use case
•    Evaluation techniques and metrics
•    Theories of interaction & dialogue
•    Encouraging prototyping & innovation
•    Ethics, privacy & trust

We encourage papers that present original and rigorous research in these
areas, especially cross disciplinary investigations that include speech
and language-based disciplines.

===Submission Instructions===
We ask interested authors to submit an initial proposal to the special
issue. Initial proposals should be about 1000 words and provide a clear
indication of what the paper is about. Note that you must use the
template provided (available here or here). Proposals should be
submitted by email to the HCI Editorial site. Proposals will be
evaluated for relevance to the special issue theme, and guidance will be
given. Accepted proposal will then be invited to submit a full paper
submission.  Full paper submissions should then be submitted to the HCI
Editorial site (mc.manuscriptcentral.com/hci). Follow the guidelines and
instructions for submissions on the site. There is a place on the
submission site to note that your submission is for the special issue.
Note that Special Issue paper submissions will be peer reviewed to the
usual standards of the HCI journal.

For questions and queries about the special issue, please email

===Important dates===
Proposals due: 2nd June 2021
Response to authors: 1st July 2021
Full papers due: 1st October 2021
Reviews to authors: 1st December 2021
Revised papers due: 1st February 2022
Reviews to authors: 16th April 2022
Final papers due: 16th May 2022

===Special Issue Editors===
Benjamin R Cowan (University College Dublin)
Leigh Clark (Swansea University)
Heloisa Candello (IBM Research, Brazil)
Janice Tsai (Mozilla Research)

--
=====================
Benjamin R Cowan PhD

NB- I do not respond or check emails at weekends or in the evening.
If anything is urgent please phone.
Recent papers:
Garialde, D. et al (2020). Quantifying the Impact of Making and Breaking Interface Habits. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/2005/2005.06842.pdf
Cowan, B.R. et al (2019). What's in an accent? The impact of accented synthetic speech on lexical choice in human-machine dialogue. Proceedings of CUI '19. https://arxiv.org/abs/1907.11146
Edwards, J. et al (2019). Multitasking with Alexa Multitasking with Alexa: How Using Intelligent Personal Assistants Impacts Language-based Primary Task Performance. Proceedings of CUI '19. https://arxiv.org/pdf/1907.01925.pdf
Clark, L. et al (2019). The State of Speech in HCI: Trends, Themes & Challenges. Interacting with Computers. https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1810/1810.06828.pdf
Clark, L. et al (2019). What Makes a Good Conversation? Challenges in Designing Truly Conversational Agents. Proceedings of CHI ‘19. Paper No. 475. https://researchrepository.ucd.ie/rest/bitstreams/39789/retrieve
Doyle, P.et al (2019). Mapping Perceptions of Humanness in Intelligent Personal Assistant Interaction. Proc. of Mobile HCI ‘19. Article No. 5. https://arxiv.org/pdf/1907.11585.pdf