PODC Archives

ACM PODC Participants List

PODC@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Thomas Nowak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thomas Nowak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2021 15:30:06 +0200
We are looking for two PostDocs at Université Paris-Saclay (in the labs LISN and LMF) to develop algorithms for consortia of bacterial cells in distributed biocomputing circuits.

Position. We offer two PostDoc positions in a highly interdisciplinary project, working on the foundations of new robust distributed algorithms in microbiological systems. Both positions will initially be allocated for one year, with the possibility of extension. In exceptional cases, extension to up to three years is possible.

Background. Our objective is to use synthetic intercellular communication systems in bacterial systems to implement robust biological distributed algorithms. We will combine methods from synthetic biology with theory from distributed computing to build and test these synthetic bacterial systems. The hired PostDocs will contribute to the design and analysis of algorithms in distributed computing models, as well as to the refinement of the models themselves.

Job profile. The candidates should have experience in theoretical computer science or applied mathematics. They should have strong communication skills and the willingness to work collaboratively with other members of the team, including biologists, mathematicians, computer scientists, and control theorists. Background in distributed computing and/or chemical reaction networks is an advantage, but not essential.

Project. The PostDoc positions are a part of the DREAMY project (Distributed Algorithms for Microbiological Systems, https://dreamy.run/) funded by the French National Research Agency (ANR) and RFSI. The interdisciplinary project is a collaboration between partners from several leading French institutions: CNRS, INRAE, Inria, Université Paris-Saclay, and University of Bordeaux.

Application. For questions, please contact [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask] To apply, please send a cover letter and a CV (with contact details of at least two referees).

Selected References:

[1] Regot, S. et al. Distributed biological computation with multicellular engineered networks. Nature 469, 207–211 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1038/nature09679
[2] Tamsir, A., Tabor, J. J. & Voigt, C. A. Robust multicellular computing using genetically encoded NOR gates and chemical ‘wires’. Nature 469, 212–5 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1038/nature09565
[3] Ortiz, M. E. & Endy, D. Engineered cell-cell communication via DNA messaging. J. Biol. Eng. 6, (2012). https://doi.org/10.1186/1754-1611-6-16