Sender:
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 2021 18:05:11 +0000
From:
Christian Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
***Apologies for cross-posting***

CHI 2020 Workshop: Decolonizing HCI Across Borders

Important Dates

  *   February 12: Position papers due.
  *   March 1: Position paper notifications sent.
  *   March 31: Camera-ready versions due.
  *   April 15th: Participation call (300 word abstract) / Video / Art
  *   May 8th: Online Workshop at CHI 2021

Submissions

Position paper (2-4 pages, single column, 1.5 line spacing, Times New Roman, size 12 font, PDF format)

o    One-page curriculum vitae

o    Submissions on hcixb2021.hotcrp.com<http://bit.ly/hcixb_2021_submissions>

  *   Intent to participate ( Art: Videos, Poems, Stories or Pictorials)
     *   Creative submission reflecting your interest to participate in this event such as a 1 min video, 300-word abstract, a poster, art work or any creative artifact.
     *   https://hcixb.org/art-submissions/

About HCI Across Borders (https://www.hcixb.org)

The HCI Across Borders (HCIxB) symposium at CHI (initially held as the Development Consortium at CHI 2016, then as a symposium 2017-2019) has evolved into a critical collaborative effort to bring together researchers working in and across under-represented contexts around the world. Our mission has been to foster community across geographies, backgrounds, methodologies, and other borders. To achieve this, we have explored building bridges with the larger HCI community and creating concrete mentorship opportunities for supporting HCIxB researchers in publishing at impactful venues such as CHI.

Theme for 2020: Decoloniality

For 2021, we expect to regroup to reflect on `decolonial’ thinking in our research and education across borders. Through our discussions, we hope to recognize the borders that coloniality has created in computing, design, and education. Our focus on decoloniality draws on our endeavors to sustain this tradition of supporting collaborations in HCI across borders and reflecting on new ways to adapt HCI to broader audiences to create pluriversal knowledge. We expect our workshop session at CHI 2021 to branch into a series of virtual workshops that will continue conversations on decoloniality and other themes that are relevant to borders in HCI, from the perspectives of students, practitioners, educators, early career researchers, etc. through the year.

Inspiring Work on Decoloniality:

  *   Video: Webinar BR-CHI 17/07/2020 - Reflections from the Classroom and Beyond (By Adriana, Marisol, Javier)<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3PXBPcI6P8>
  *   Papers: https://sites.google.com/view/decolonizinglearningspaces/inspiring-work?authuser=0

Submissions

Submission can include

  *   (A) Presenter:
     *   Paper: 2-4 pages position paper which will be entitled to be a presenter and get your position paper published in HCIxB web and other open platforms (e.g.,  CEUR-WS platform<http://ceur-ws.org/>)
  *   (B) Attendee:
     *    a 300 word abstract or any other creative artifact that provides an opportunity to engage in discussion, learn from experiences, and describes their perspectives.

Example submissions might include, but are not limited to, the topics below (from previous years):

•  Education technology use by Latino immigrant parents in the United States

•  Creation of e-mentorship opportunities to bridge the rural-urban divide in the United States

•  Digitization of informal savings in Pakistan

•  Introduction of medical chatbots to improve health-care delivery in Kenya

•  Media reconstruction and archiving on Cambodian Facebook

•  Community-led video education for digital financial services in India

Here are some questions applicants may want to consider answering in their submissions:

•  Who are you? Please tell us about your department, year of study, institution, etc.

•  What context are you working in? What are the social, political, or cultural conditions there?

•  What problems (w.r.t Decoloniality) are you addressing? What solutions, if any, are you expecting to deliver?

•  How do you think attending HCIxB 2021 will be beneficial to your work?

In addition, please include a 1-page curriculum vitae. If you need support for funding, please email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with evidence that your submission was accepted.

For examples of accepted submissions in previous years, please see:

2020: https://hcixb.org/past_events/chi2020/submissions-2020/

2019: https://www.hcixb.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/hcixb19-examples.zip

2018: https://hcixb.org/chi2018/participants/

2017: <http://www.hcixb.org/past-events/2017-2/accepted-papers-authors/> https://hcixb.org/2017-2/accepted-papers-authors/

2016: https://hci4dacrossborders.wordpress.com/

All submissions will be reviewed by our program committee, and their acceptance will be conditional on their potential to contribute to the HCIxB community and to foster discussion and growth among participants. Authors of accepted submissions will be invited to bring poster versions of their submissions at CHI. We will invite seasoned HCI researchers in relevant areas to provide rich feedback to workshop participants. A selection of accepted submissions will be invited to make short oral presentations.

Please note that accepted submissions will not be indexed in the ACM DL but will be listed on the HCIxB website for participants to read before attending CHI. Accepted papers could also be published via open source platforms like CEUR-WS platform<http://ceur-ws.org/>. Through March and April, we will publish submissions as blog posts (on https://medium.com/hccxb). Please check http://www.hcixb.org<http://bit.ly/hcixb> for relevant information, and email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with questions.

Schedule

HCIxB will take place on Saturday, as a one-day Workshop. Our tentative schedule is below, though it is subject to change, and will be finalized after we have reviewed the submissions. All updates will be indicated on our website (https://www.hcixb.org).

09:00 - 09:15: Welcome from the organizing committee

09:15 - 10:15: Introduction and Position Paper presentations

10:30 - 11:00: Panel/Keynote

11:00 - 11:45: Clustering and Discussion

12:00 - 13:00: Next Steps and Closing Remarks

Organizers

(in alphabetical order)

Vikram Kamath Cannanure, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Dilrukshi Gamage, University of Moratuwa, Moratuwa, Sri Lanka,

Naveena Karusala, University of Washington

Neha Kumar, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, USA

Oscar Lemus, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA

Juan Fernando Maestre, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA

Teresa Cerratto Pargman, Stockholm University, Kista, Sweden

Pedro Reynolds-Cuéllar, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, USA,

Christian Sturm, Hamm-Lippstadt University of Applied Sciences, Lippstadt, Germany,

Heike Winschiers-Theophilus, Namibia University of Science and Technology, Windhoek, Namibia,

Marisol Wong-Villacres, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, USA

Contact

For updates, please check the workshop website:  https://www.hcixb.org
Email us your questions to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>