Sender:
Date:
Mon, 1 Aug 2022 00:40:48 +0000
From:
Anusha Withana <[log in to unmask]>
We’re excited to announce that the Student Volunteer application portal for UIST 2022 is now open! Applications are due August 22, 2022, and we will send out acceptance notifications on August 30, 2022.

Application Instructions
To apply to be an SV go to https://new.chisv.org/conference/uist2022 and submit the questionnaire.

Benefits
Being an SV will give you a chance to attend the premier forum for innovations in human-computer interfaces and network with the leaders in the field! At its core, the student volunteer experience is about making connections, both with your fellow volunteers and with more senior researchers. Whether it’s helping out with Q&A after a talk for a researcher you look up to, working on a task directly with members of the organizing committee, or even helping someone check-in while working at the registration desk, there are so many opportunities to make connections that can have a true impact on your career. Not to mention the free conference registration and SV T-shirt!

We are happy to report that we plan on continuing the "rockstar" Q&A sessions with senior researchers; these will most likely be held virtually the week following the conference.

If you are a UIST Student Volunteer, you get:

  *   Free conference registration
  *   Exclusive SV “rockstar” Q&A sessions with senior faculty and researchers
  *   Access to a tight SV community
  *   A free UIST 2022 SV T-shirt
  *   The chance to closely work together with both presenters and the conference organizing committee.

Logistics and Duties
Our goal is to make sure SVs can attend the sessions that they are interested in. In 2020 and 2021 we had around 40 SVs who worked approximately 6 hours each.

SVs will do a mix of tasks before and during the conference. Any hours spent doing pre-conference tasks will count towards your total SV hours. Some pre-conference tasks may need to be done several weeks before the conference begins; please indicate your availability to do pre-conference tasks on the lottery questionnaire and we will try to accommodate everyone’s preferences as best as possible.

UIST 2022 is intended to be an in-person conference with some virtual elements (see https://uist.acm.org/uist2022/attending.html#hybridization). Most SV tasks will be in person, but SVs may still be needed to facilitate virtual elements. There will be a small number of remote SV positions available for people who cannot attend UIST in person but would still like to participate online; these SVs will either be assigned pre-conference tasks or other tasks that can be done remotely.

Thanks so much for applying! We look forward to seeing you at UIST 2022!!

SV chairs,
Lisa Elkin & Ticha Sethapakdi

On behalf of SV chairs
Anusha Withana and Minsuk Chang (Publicity Chairs)