Sender:
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2022 11:09:51 -0700
From:
Francisco Ortega <[log in to unmask]>
Dear all,

** Sorry for Cross-Posting **

*We are extending the deadline for NIDIT 2022 to Jan 14 AoE. *

Workshop on Emerging Novel Input Devices and Interaction Techniques.
Workshop hosted by IEEE VR 2022, March 12-13, 2022,  Christchurch, New
Zealand, (Online)

Virtual reality has finally become a mainstream technology. Recent advances
in commercial VR hardware have led to high-resolution, ergonomic, – and
critically – low cost head-mounted displays. Advances in commercial input
devices and interaction techniques have arguably not kept pace with
advances in displays. For instance, most HMDs include a tracked input
device and these “controllers” are still fairly similar to the earliest
examples of 3D controllers used in the VR systems of the 1980s. Interaction
in commercial VR systems has similarly lagged; despite many advances in 3D
interaction in the past three decades of VR research, interaction in
commercial systems largely relies on classical techniques like the virtual
hand or ray-casting.

Topics

This full-day workshop will bring together researchers and industry
practitioners to discuss and experience the future of input devices for VR,
AR, and 3D User Interfaces, and help chart a course for the future of 3D
interaction techniques. We invite authors to submit 4-6 page papers on any
of the following topics:

§   Form factors and ergonomics of input devices

§   Hardware design and prototyping

§   Mapping of input to varying degrees of freedom

§   Haptic/tactile feedback

§   Novel input devices

§   Repurposing of existing devices (e.g., smartphones, tablets) for
immersive contexts

§   Tracked passive or custom props

§   Novel interaction techniques supported by custom devices

§   User studies evaluating the above topics

Related but unlisted topics are also welcome. In addition to a presentation
at the workshop, authors of all accepted submissions will be strongly
encouraged to demonstrate their novel input device and interaction
techniques in an interactive demo format following the presentations.

Important Dates:

IEEE VR Conference Papers Author Notification: December 22, 2021, AoE

*Submission Deadline: January 14, 2022, AoE (If you are submitting a paper
from the VR conference track, please include review and changes)*
Notification Deadline: January 20, 2022, AoE

Camera-Ready:  January 27, 2022, AoE

*Submission Information:*
Papers should be submitted via PCS: https://new.precisionconference.com

Submissions must be anonymized and in PDF format, in the VGTC format:
http://junctionpublishing.org/vgtc/Tasks/camera.html

All submissions will be reviewed by experts in the areas listed above. At
least one author of each accepted submission must register for the workshop
and IEEE VR 2021 conference. Authors of accepted papers will be expected to
give a 10 minute at the workshop, and encouraged to give a demonstration of
their research as a video. Proceedings will be submitted for inclusion in
the IEEE Xplore Library. We will also host the papers in this site.

*Organizers:*
Anil Ufuk Batmaz, [log in to unmask]

Francisco R. Ortega, [log in to unmask]

Robert J. Teather, [log in to unmask]

Adalberto L. Simeone, [log in to unmask]

Wolfgang Stuerzlinger, [log in to unmask]

Benjamin Weyers, [log in to unmask]

Contact:

Please send any questions to Anil Ufuk Batmaz ([log in to unmask]) or
Francisco R. Ortega ([log in to unmask])

Thanks,

Francisco R. Ortega, Ph.D.
Computer Science - 3D User Interfaces. https://nuilab.org
Assistant Professor, Colorado State  University
"No me quieras porque gané, necesito que me quieras para ganar" -- Marcelo
Bielsa