From:
IEEE Pervasive <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
IEEE Pervasive <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 May 2022 19:03:12 -0400
[Apology for cross-posting] Call for Papers: Special Issue on Pervasive
Computing and Space Ana Diaz Artiles, Ariel Ekblaw, Gregory Falco, Jeremy
D. Frank, Joseph A. Paradiso, Title and abstracts due: June 17, 2022 (via
[log in to unmask]) Full manuscripts due: July 1, 2022 (via submission
site) Publication: April-June 2023 It’s become abundantly clear that we are
living at the dawn of a new Space Age. The dreams of life in space that
humanity has pursued since the 1960s have been born anew, tempered by new
technological capability. Multiple governments have recently joined the
ranks of the space-faring nations, together with a multitude of new players
at the table as the industry develops a stronger role. Launch capability is
expanding enormously, while bold ideas of things to do in space loom closer
and become more feasible. The next few years, for example, will usher in
commercial orbital habitats along with the next phase of human exploration
of the moon enabled by a plethora of lunar rovers, landers, and
orbiters–all sponsored by a cornucopia of governments and industries
following their own visions of a profitable and expansive future. Looking
further out, we’re on the threshold of an amazing portfolio of missions to
the outer planets and asteroids that, together with new space-based
observatories and science missions, will vastly expand human knowledge and
perhaps find evidence of extra-terrestrial life (or the lack of it).
Humanity is renewing its push into space, and as we reach further we will
become increasingly changed by the technology we bring along and the
answers we uncover. The first Space Age essentially defined cutting-edge
technology, as ideas like VLSI and wearable physiological monitoring, for
example, trickled down from NASA missions into commercial reality. Now,
much of the transfer flows the other way, as technology developed for
terrestrial applications finds a path into the next generation of space
missions–and the concepts, engineering, and design of pervasive computing
systems and the Internet of Things (IoT) will be main passengers on that
conveyor. It’s very much a symbiotic relationship, however; the harsh and
still-unconventional realities of space will shape research in all aspects
of what our community does into fascinating extremes. For all of these
reasons, it’s an appropriate time to launch the first special issue of IEEE
Pervasive Computing dedicated to pervasive computing in space. We are
seeking paper submissions for this issue around topics such as (but not
limited to): - Sensor networks in space - Advances in HCI for space systems
- New roles for AR/VR and multimodal visualization in space operations -
Virtual assistants in spaceflight applications - Techniques for gaining and
disseminating advanced situational awareness in space - Space-based
computer networks for pervasive sensing infrastructure - Roles for wearable
computing and physiological monitoring in space applications - Astronaut
health/lifestyle monitoring and sensor platforms for countermeasures across
microgravity environments extended deep space missions, and surface space
habitats - Integration of diverse digital and networked devices (robots,
spacecraft, rovers, etc.) for a space-based IoT - Roles for edge autonomy
in spacecraft/rover fleet dispatch and management - Pervasive computing
techniques applied to robust and self-healing systems for extreme
environments - Responsive/smart environments for space vehicles and
habitats - Cybersecurity protocols for pervasive computing infrastructure
in space Submission Guidelines For author information and guidelines on
submission criteria, please visit the IEEE Pervasive Computing Author
Information page. Please submit papers through the ScholarOne system, and
be sure to select the special issue name. Manuscripts should not be
published or currently submitted for publication elsewhere. Please submit
only full papers intended for review, not abstracts, to the ScholarOne
portal. Abstracts should be sent by email to the guest editors directly. Guest
Editors Contact the guest editors at [log in to unmask] Ana Diaz
Artiles, Texas A&M University, USA Ariel Ekblaw, MIT, USA Gregory Falco,
Johns Hopkins University, USA Jeremy D. Frank, NASA Ames Research Center,
USA Joseph A. Paradiso, MIT Media Lab, USA