From:
Amir Aly <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2022 16:04:21 +0100
Dear All

* Apologies for cross-posting *

The* Center for Robotics and Neural Systems* (CRNS) is pleased to announce
the talk of *Prof. Jochen Triesch* from *Frankfurt Institute for Advanced
Studies* - Germany on Wednesday, *April 27th* from *11:00 am *to *12:30 pm*
 (*London time*) over *Zoom*.

>> *Events*: The CRNS talk series will cover a wide range of topics
including social and cognitive robotics, computational neuroscience,
computational linguistics, cognitive vision, machine learning, AI, and
applications to autism. More details are available here:

 https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/research/robotics-neural-systems/whats-on
<https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.plymouth.ac.uk%2Fresearch%2Frobotics-neural-systems%2Fwhats-on&data=04%7C01%7Camir.aly%40plymouth.ac.uk%7Ccc2c14f8cea84b5ca57008d9e66bc8f7%7C5437e7eb83fb4d1abfd3bb247e061bf1%7C1%7C0%7C637794174088133015%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=WvbN9fuNT6UfUlocuG0asp9iUHev227dEAHAFz00p34%3D&reserved=0>

>> *Link for the next event (No Registration is Required)*:

Join Zoom Meeting

https://plymouth.zoom.us/j/94978385874?pwd=WXlOYXpJYzlQRnFQTmFYekloSDVsZz09&from=addon

>> *Title of the talk*:  Learning to see without supervision

*Abstract*:

Biological brains can learn much more autonomously than today’s AI systems
and robots. How does this work and can we reproduce such autonomous
learning abilities in artificial systems? Over the last years we have been
studying this question for the case of visual perception. We have
constructed models of how human infants learn to see the world in three
dimensions, begin to track moving objects and learn to recognize them
without any supervision. We have compared these models to biological data
and validated them on physical robots. Studying the computational
principles underlying these learning processes, we highlight effective
information compression as the central driving force behind our brain’s
ability to learn to see without supervision.

>> If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me,

Regards

*Dr. Amir Aly*

Lecturer in Artificial Intelligence and Robotics

Center for Robotics and Neural Systems (CRNS)

School of Engineering, Computing, and Mathematics

Room B332, Portland Square, Drake Circus, PL4 8AA

University of Plymouth, UK