From:
Premeet Kaur Sidhu <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Premeet Kaur Sidhu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 2021 08:19:12 +0000
Hi all,

We are soliciting abstracts for an edited collection on the tabletop role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons [D&D], timed to celebrate and comment on its 50th anniversary. The book will be edited by Premeet Sidhu, Marcus Carter, and José Zagal, with the aim to publish through a university press. The full CFP can be found below and is also available at our website here: https://dnd.gamescholarship.org

The deadline for abstracts of 300-800 words is Thursday 8th April 2021 at 11:59 pm (Anywhere on Earth). If you have any questions or queries, please email us at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

We appreciate you passing along this CFP to your relevant networks and anyone who may be interested.

Cheers,

Pre, Marcus, and José

CFP: Edited Collection for D&D’s 50th Anniversary

Abstract Deadline: Thursday 8th April 2021 (11:59 pm Anywhere on Earth)

Contact/Submissions: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Editors: Premeet Sidhu, Marcus Carter, and José Zagal

Over the past 47 years, the tabletop role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons [D&D] has had widespread influence across games, media, and social play. In anticipation of D&D’s upcoming 50th anniversary, we are soliciting abstracts for an edited collection that will overview the game’s evolution, players, and broader sociocultural impacts throughout its first 50 years.

We hope to collect and showcase some of the diverse voices and experiences within the broader D&D community (e.g., academics and non-academics, developers/designers, players, educators, historians, streamers, practitioners, gaming club/store organisers, and artists—to name a few), and encourage all to submit abstracts. Key areas of interest are (but are not limited to): studies of the game itself, D&D players and related communities, broader sociocultural impacts and value of the game, and reflections on D&D’s past, present, and future.

Submissions may take one of the following general formats and accessible writing is encouraged:

  *   Scholarly research written for an interdisciplinary and public audience.

  *   Q&A style interviews with significant figures in the D&D community (past and present, and both locally and/or globally).

  *   Reflective/speculative essays about what D&D, its player base/community, and related fields of academic inquiry, can inspire to achieve in the oncoming years.

Abstracts of 300-800 words are due by Thursday 8th April 2021 at 11:59 pm (Anywhere on Earth) and should be submitted to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. Your abstract should include:

  *   3-5 key words that summarise your proposed chapter

  *   A brief description of your proposed chapter

  *   [And, if appropriate] A brief description or outline of the research methods and/or theoretical foundations that underpin your research

Key dates

  *   Abstract Submissions Due: 8th April 2021

  *   Acceptance Notifications Sent Out: 15th April 2021

  *   Online Workshop for Contributors: (tentatively) May 2021

  *   Full Chapters (5000-8000 words) Due: 15th August 2021

All academic chapters will be subject to double blind peer review. For further details, please visit our website at https://dnd.gamescholarship.org/. If you have any questions or queries, please email us at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

We understand that everyone is facing unprecedented circumstances now and that some contributors’ lives are/will be more disrupted than others. If you want to submit an abstract but need more time, please send through an email to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> and we can work together to set an abstract deadline that is achievable for you.

Cheers,

Pre, Marcus, and José