From:
John Wenskovitch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Wenskovitch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 2021 18:27:12 -0400
 *Call for Participation:*  Machine Learning from User Interactions (MLUI)
Workshop at IEEE VIS 2021

The Machine Learning from User Interactions (MLUI) workshop is back for a
4th year.  In this workshop, we seek to bring together researchers to share
their knowledge and build collaborations at the intersection of the Machine
Learning and Visualization fields, with a focus on learning from user
interaction. Rather than focusing on what visualization can do to support
machine learning (as in current Explainable AI research), this workshop
seeks contributions on *how machine learning can support visualization*.
Such support incorporates human-centric sensemaking processes, user-driven
analytical systems, and gaining insight from data. Our intention in this
workshop is to generate open discussion about how we currently learn from
user interaction, how to build intelligent visualization systems, and how
to proceed with future research in this area. We hope to foster discussion
regarding systems, interaction models, and interaction techniques. MLUI
2021 largely plans to continue the momentum in this research area that the
previous workshops have initiated.

This year, we plan to accept both short and long papers jointly in the same
submission block. Full papers have a length of 5-10 pages (not including
references), while short papers are 2-4 pages (plus references). Short
papers are intended to capture either (1) limited aspects of a larger work
that fit our call or (2) late-breaking work not yet mature enough for a
full paper submission. The option of submitting a short paper replaces the
posters track that we previously offered at MLUI.

Submissions will be reviewed by a committee of reviewers that we will
organize. This committee will include the workshop committee members. The
size of the committee will be determined by the number of submissions, such
that each submission is reviewed by at least 2 committee members. Both full
and short paper metadata (author information, title, university, etc.) as
well as the submissions themselves will be posted to the workshop website
in advance of the event. Workshop papers will be archived on IEEE Xplore
following the conference.

*Website:*  https://learningfromusersworkshop.github.io/
*Submission deadline:*  July 30, 2021
*Author notification:*  August 15, 2021
*Workshop dates:*  TBD, held with IEEE VIS (October 24-29, 2021)