From:
Michael Muller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Muller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 2020 20:58:25 -0400
Dear All,

We hope you and your loved-ones are doing well during the pandemic.

We invite you to submit your work to the CSCW 2020 virtual workshop on
Interrogating Data Science,
https://sites.google.com/view/interrogating-data-science-wk/home .

Data science provides powerful tools and methods. Recent research has shown
that human skills and collaborative decision-making, play important roles
in defining data, acquiring data, curating data, designing data, and
creating data. This workshop gathers researchers and practitioners together
to take a collective and critical look at data science work-practices, and
at how those work-practices make crucial and often invisible impacts on the
formal work of data science. When we understand the human and social
contributions to data science pipelines, we can constructively redesign
both work and technologies for new insights, theories, and challenges. We
invite submissions that describe ways in which humans (as individuals or
groups) intervene or shape datasets, models, pipelines, and other aspects
of data science work. Critical perspectives are also welcome.

Please consider these proposed topics are starting points for your own
creative and critical ideas:

   - Human roles in data science
   - Human interventions in data science
   - Data as a site of design
   - Social definitions of data
   - Role-specific views onto data
   - Data as boundary object within and beyond data science teams
   - In Explainable AI, who speaks, and who reads, the explanations?
   - Rhetorics of data and of data science
   - "Do data have politics?"
   - Can there be "value sensitive data science"?
   - Human-centered algorithms

We invite submissions of up to four pages (references may appear on
additional pages) in the "Legacy SIGCHI Extended Abstracts Format ( Word
<http://chi2019.acm.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/CHI19-EA-sample-file-1.docx>
/ LaTeX <https://www.overleaf.com/latex/tem> )." If these formats cause
difficulties, please communicate with us. We will work with you to find
alternate submission formats.

Please send your submission - and any questions - to us at

We look forward to learning about your ideas!

best wishes,
Michael Muller, Cecilia Aragon, Shion Guha, Marina Kogan, GIna Neff,
Cathrine Seidelin, Katie Shilton, and Anissa Tanweer
-----
Michael Muller, PhD, IBM Research, Cambridge MA USA
pronouns: he/him/his
ACM Distinguished Scientist
ACM SIGCHI Academy
IBM Master Inventor