Sender:
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2021 16:59:30 +0000
From:
Oulasvirta Antti <[log in to unmask]>
Special Issue for ACM Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction (TOCHI):

Computational Approaches in Human-Computer Interaction

Deadline for submissions: July 1, 2021

This special issue is a response to the growing need for HCI researchers to contribute to the development of human-centric AI and intelligent systems. The ongoing surge of AI is driven by the remarkable capacity of deep networks to learn patterns in data, which has stimulated progress and sprung new applications in speech, language, and vision. However, the predominant methods mostly learn statistical patterns from large datasets, or learn via extensive trial and error, and have had limited success in human-computer interaction. At the same time, serious issues related to opaqueness and bias have been raised. There is a dire need for HCI researchers to contribute to the foundations of such methods and study them from an HCI perspective, not as an afterthought. The emerging themes of human-centric AI and human-AI partnership are triggering novel, foundational research questions that do not reduce to “pure” AI or “pure” ML questions. Such topics include, but are not limited to, collaboration, assistance, understandability, compatibility, explainability, fairness, trust, and safety of computing systems.

Contributions

The ambition of this special issue is to promote the study of AI methods and intelligent systems from an HCI perspective. We invite submissions whose primary contribution improves our understanding of computational methods and machine intelligence for human-computer interaction. Papers should keep a human-computer interaction focus throughout. Such papers can study, criticize, or build on, for example, systems that use machine learning, optimization, statistical modeling, natural language processing, control theory, signal processing or computer vision, among others. No matter what the technical subject is, the central contribution of an accepted paper should be clearly identifiable as a contribution to the HCI field. This may necessitate rigorous empirical studies with human participants, when applicable, and clearly identified findings and implications for HCI research progress in human-centric machine intelligence.

Contributions are not limited to algorithms and systems. We welcome a broad range of contributions, including but not limited to:

  *   Datasets or analysis
  *   Empirical studies, including replication studies
  *   Method
  *   Theory and modeling
  *   Interaction techniques and tools
  *   Design
  *   Commentary or essay

Contributions will be judged in part by their rigor, significance, validity, and practical or theoretical impact.

Special Issue Editors

Lydia Chilton, Columbia University
Per Ola Kristensson, University of Cambridge
Xiaojuan Ma, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Antti Oulasvirta, Aalto University

Schedule

We will use a standard TOCHI review process for this special issue, with two rounds of reviews and revisions. Authors are encouraged to email a short abstract (300-500 words) well in time before the deadline to get feedback on suitability to the special issue. In consultation with the journal managing editor, we will select a list of qualified reviewers for the special issue.

Deadline for papers                July 1, 2021
Final version of paper due      November 15, 2021

More information

Home page of the special issue:https://dl.acm.org/journal/tochi/calls-for-papers/computationalhci

We welcome any inquiries about possible contributions. Please contact the editors at: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Details on submission formatting and procedures can be found at: https://dl.acm.org/journal/tochi/author-guidelines

Manuscripts should be submitted via ManuscriptCentral: https://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/tochi