From:
Tadashi Okoshi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tadashi Okoshi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jul 2020 23:20:34 +0900
[image: 木, 屋外, 記号, グリーン が含まれている画像自動的に生成された説明]

*Call for Papers: *

*WellComp 2020 (Third International Workshop on Computing for Well-Being)*

in conjunction with ACM UbiComp 2020

Venue: online

23:59 (AoE), July 10, 2020 - Submission Deadline

September 12 or 13, 2020 - Workshop Date
http://WellComp.org/ <http://wellcomp.org/2020/>*2020/*

Workshop Theme and Goals

-------------------------------------

In the advancing ubiquitous computing age, computing technology has already
spread into many aspects of our daily lives, such as office work, home and
house-keeping, health management, transportation, or even cities. We have
been experiencing that much of the influence from those technologies are
both contributing better quality of life (QoL) of our individual and
organizational lives, and causing new types of stress and pain at the same
time. The term “well-being” has recently has gained attention as a term
that covers our general happiness and even more concrete good conditions in
our lives, such as physical, psychological, and social wellness.

An increasing number of researchers, engineers, and people are paying
attention to how their work can contribute to the better quality of lives,
social good, and well-being. In spite of recent activities in the academia
and the society, unified academic research activities on computing and
well-being is anticipated within the ubicomp research community. Active
research not only in the HCI domain but in various other ubicomp research
areas (systems, mobile/wearable sensing, mobile computing, persuasive
applications and services, behavior change, etc.) are needed towards
drawing the big picture of “computing for well-being” from different
viewpoints and layers of computing. For example, an additional viewpoint of
users’ well-being in activity recognition researches may invent new types
of applications that comprehensively cover different types of recognition
of user’s physical, mental and social activities. Ever since Mark Weiser
introduce the term of ubiquitous computing, the ubiquity of computing in
our daily lives and the society has been certainly progressing. Now it is
time for the community to more seriously envision the benefits that such
computing technologies can bring.

Users of digital devices are increasingly confronted with a tremendous
amount of notifications that appear on multiple devices and screens in
their environment. If a user owns a smartphone, a tablet, a smartwatch and
a laptop and an email-client is installed on all of these devices an
incoming e-mail produces up to four notifications – one on each device. In
the future, we will receive notifications from all our ubiquitous devices.
Therefore, we need a smart attention management for incoming notifications.
One way for a less interrupting attention management could be the use of
ambient representations of incoming notifications.

Following our successful 1st and 2nd workshops (WellComp 2018 and 2019),
this year we will bring together people from industry and academia who are
active in the areas of activity recognition, mental health, social good,
context-awareness and ubiquitous computing. The main objective of WellComp
2020 is to share the latest research in various areas in computing, related
to users’ physical, mental, and social well-being. Especially this year’s
special attention will be paid for “Well-Being Metrics” and Well-Being
Intervention towards Behavior Change”. Relevance to such topics will be
considered in the paper review and selection process. Furthermore, the
workshop aims to identify future research challenges, research
opportunities, and applications of our research outcomes to the society.

The topics of interest include -but are not limited- to the following:

   - Definition and representation of well-being in computing
   - Predictive modeling of well-being metric and computational models
   - Systems with well-being-awareness
   - Measurement of well-being with ubicomp technologies
   - Management of physical wellness and well-being
   - Management of mental health and well-being
   - Management of social good and well-being
   - Innovative well-being applications
   - Behavior design / feedback design for well-being application
   - Computing and well-being of children, disabilities, or elderly people
   - People's well-being in various situations (e.g., smart home, smart
   cities and connected communities, classes)
   - People's well-being and new types of community driven by ICT (e.g.,
   sharing economy)

Submission details

------------------------

A paper should have a length of maximum 4 pages in the new SIGCHI Master
Article Template (2 column conference proceedings style) and will be
reviewed by at least two workshop organizers. Successful submissions will
have the potential to raise discussion, provide insights for other
attendees, and illustrate open challenges and potential solutions. All
accepted publications will be published on the workshop website and in the
ACM Digital Library. At least one author of each accepted paper needs to
register for the conference and the workshop itself. During the workshop,
each paper will be presented briefly by one of the authors. In addition,
there will be room for demonstrations as well as discussions.

All papers need be anonymized.
Please submit your paper on EasyChair at [URL TBD]

Important Dates

--------

*23:59 (AoE), July 10, 2020 - Submission Deadline*

23:59 (AoE), July 24, 2020 - Notification of Acceptance

23:59 (AoE), July 31, 2020 – Camera-ready Submission Deadline

September 12 or 13, 2020 - Workshop Date

Organizing Committee

Tadashi Okoshi (Keio University)
Jin Nakazawa (Keio University)

JeongGil Ko (Yonsei University)

Fahim Kawsar (Nokia Bell Labs.)

Susanna Pirttikangas (University of Oulu)

Any questions should be mailed to wellcomp-org [AT] ht.sfc.keio.ac.jp.