Sender:
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2006 12:40:50 +0100
From:
Gerd Kortuem <[log in to unmask]>
The submission deadline for the workshop on "Software Engineering
Issues for Ubiquitous Computing" has been extended.

The new deadline is Friday, April 28, 2006

                   CALL FOR PAPERS

                International Workshop on
"Software Engineering Challenges for Ubiquitous Computing"

                     June 1-2 2006
                    Lancaster, UK

Submission deadline: April 28 2006 (extended)

http://ubicomp.comp.lancs.ac.uk/workshops/seuc2006

Workshop goals
-----------------------
This workshop is intended to initiate a discussion of software
engineering challenges for ubiquitous computing. While recent research
in ubiquitous computing has produced useful results in the form of
novel devices, infrastructures and applications, there has been a lack
of research investigating the fundamental software engineering
challenges for ubiquitous computing.  As a result we are lacking
answers to questions such as:

- How do we ensure that ubiquitous computing systems
fulfill their required and intended purpose?
- How do we ensure that we can trust these systems to
perform as intended?
- How do we produce ubiquitous computing systems efficiently
and economically?

As ubiquitous computing technology is increasingly applied for solving
critical real-world problems, effective and efficient engineering
techniques will become increasingly vital.

This workshop is aimed at researchers from all areas interested in
advancing the state-of-the art in software engineering and ubiquitous
computing. The concrete goals of this workshop are:

1. To identify shortcoming of current software engineering approaches
   when applied to ubiquitous computing.
2. To identify requirements for future engineering techniques.
3. To discuss novel software engineering methods, processes and
   tools that specifically address the challenges of producing ubiquitous
   systems.
4. To determine promising areas for future research in software engineering
   and ubiquitous computing.

Topics of interest
-------------------------
The topics of this workshop include, but not restricted to, the following:

- methods, tools and notations that address both software engineering
and ubiquitous computing concerns
- system models and specifications
- development processes
- safety and reliability aspects
- evaluation, validation
- verification and testing of ubiquitous computing systems
- hardware/software integration.

Submissions
-------------------
Interested individuals should submit a 2-page position paper. Papers
may address previous work carried out by the author or discuss ideas
related to the four outlined workshop goals.
Submissions should be sent by email to Gerd Kortuem at
The submission deadline is 20 April 2006.

Organization
------------------
Gerd Kortuem, Lancaster University  (UK) (Chair)
Alessandro Garcia, Lancaster University (UK)
Ian Marshall, University of Kent (UK)
Cecilia Mascolo, University College London (UK)
Ron Morrison, University of St Andrews (UK)
Morris Sloman, Imperial College London (UK)

Programme Committee
---------------------------------
Gregory Abowd, Georgia Tech (USA)
Anind Dey, CMU (USA)
Markus Endler, PUC do Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)
Alois Ferscha, University of Linz (Austria)
Stephen Fickas, University of Oregon (US)
Alessandro Garcia, Lancaster University (UK)
William G. Griswold, UC San Diego (USA)
Paul Havinga, University of Twente (NL)
Christine Julien, University of Texas at Austin (USA)
Gerd Kortuem, Lancaster University (UK)
Cristina Videira Lopes, UC Irvine (USA)
Ian Marshall, University of Kent (UK)
Cecilia Mascolo, University College London (UK)
Ron Morrison, University of St Andrews (UK)
Nirvana Meratnia, University of Twente (NL)
Max Mühlhäuser, Technical University Darmstadt (Germany)
Andrea Omicini, Universit=E0 di Bologna (Italy)
Awais Rashid, Lancaster University (UK)
David S. Rosenblum, University College London (UK)
Morris Sloman, Imperial College London (UK)
Francois Taiani, Lancaster University (UK)

Contact
For questions please contact:
Gerd Kortuem
Computing Department