Sender:
From:
"Jennifer 8. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 18:24:23 -0400
Hi. My name is Jennifer Lee. I am a reporter working on an article
on the proliferation of beeps in our culture today (pagers, cell phones,
computers, answer machines). Considering digital beeps didn't exist in our
culture maybe 60 or so years ago, they seem to be everywhere now.

I'm looking for people who can talk to me about

1) the origin of the beep
2) the philosophy of when and where beeps should be used in computing
3) the psychological impact beeps have had on people now that they are
everywhere -- are there any alternatives to the beep if users are finding
them annoying? (chimes for example?)
4) any interesting anecdotes with beeps -- too many, frustration, etc.

I apologize for this a really vague request, but essentially I'm trying to
write an interesting story on beeps, whatever you have helps.

Please send me whatever thoughts you might have plus a contact email and
phone number for further interviews.

Thanks,
jenny

jennifer 8. lee