From:
Francisco Ortega <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Francisco Ortega <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 2021 11:57:10 -0700
  Dear all,

** Apologies for Cross-Posting **

*Workshop on Novel Input Devices and Interaction Techniques *

*NIDIT at IEEE VR 2021*

*Date: March 27, 2021, Lisbon, Portugal (Virtual)*

*Website: **https://sites.google.com/view/nidit*
<https://sites.google.com/view/nidit>

*Brief overview: *

Virtual reality has finally become a mainstream technology. Recent advances
in commercial VR hardware have led to high-resolution, ergonomic, – and
critically – low cost head-mounted displays. Advances in commercial input
devices and interaction techniques have arguably not kept pace with
advances in displays. For instance, most HMDs include a tracked input
device: “wands” that are not dissimilar to the earliest examples of 3D
controllers used in the VR systems of the 1980s. Interaction in commercial
VR systems has similarly lagged; despite many advances in 3D interaction in
the past three decades of VR research, interaction in commercial systems
largely relies on classical techniques like the virtual hand, or
ray-casting.

This half-day workshop will bring together researchers and industry
practitioners to discuss and experience the future of input devices for VR,
AR, and 3D User Interfaces, and help chart a course for the future of 3D
interaction techniques. We invite authors to submit 4-6 page papers on any
of the following topics:

§    Form factors and ergonomics of input devices

§    Hardware design and prototyping

§    Mapping of input to display degrees of freedom

§    Haptic/tactile feedback

§    Novel input devices

§    Repurposing of existing devices (e.g., smartphones, tablets) in VR
contexts

§    Tracked passive or custom props

§    Novel Interaction techniques supported by custom devices

§    User studies evaluating the above topics

§    Related but unlisted topics are also welcome.

*Submission guidelines:*

All submissions will be reviewed by experts in the areas listed above. At
least one author of each accepted submission must register for the workshop
and IEEE VR 2021 conference. Authors of accepted papers will be expected to
give a 10 minute at the workshop and encouraged to give a demonstration of
their research as a video. Proceedings will be submitted for inclusion in
the IEEE Xplore Library. We will also host the papers in the website.

Papers should be submitted via PCS:
https://new.precisionconference.com/submissions

Submissions must be anonymized and in PDF format, in the VGTC format:
http://junctionpublishing.org/vgtc/Tasks/camera.html
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fjunctionpublishing.org%2Fvgtc%2FTasks%2Fcamera.html&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNES62nMbzMSa8QcazSCZXPt_ta9zw>

 *Important Dates:*

§     Submission Deadline for VR Conference Papers: January 13 2021 AoE

§     Submission Deadline: January 18, 2021 AoE January 22, 2021 AoE

§     Notification Deadline: January 31, 2021 AoE

§     Camera-Ready: February 12, 2021 AoE

*Organizers:*

Robert J. Teather, Carleton University, [log in to unmask]

Adalberto L. Simeone, KU Leuven, [log in to unmask]

Francisco R. Ortega, Colorado State University, [log in to unmask]

Anil Ufuk Batmaz, Simon Fraser University, [log in to unmask]

Wolfgang Stuerzlinger, Simon Fraser University, [log in to unmask]

Benjamin Weyers, University of Trier, [log in to unmask]

*Contact**: *Please send any questions to [log in to unmask]

Thanks,
Francisco R. Ortega, Ph.D.
Computer Science - 3D User Interfaces. https://nuilab.org
Assistant Professor, Colorado State  University
"No me quieras porque gané, necesito que me quieras para ganar" -- Marcelo
Bielsa