MOD-DBWORLD Archives

DBWorld @ ACM SIGMOD

MOD-DBWORLD@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Francesca Pratesi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:50:15 -0500
IAIL 2024 - IMAGINING THE AI LANDSCAPE AFTER THE AI ACT
http://iail2024.isti.cnr.it/

OVERVIEW OF THE WORKSHOP
The AI Act (AIA) is a landmark EU legislation to regulate Artificial Intelligence based on its capacity to cause harm. Like the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the AIA is set to become the global benchmark for regulating Artificial Intelligence. The Brussels effect has been noticed already at the draft level, with other regions taking similar initiatives of regulating AI. The regulation of AI has become particularly important with the introduction of generative AI, its impact, and its potential for abuse in many areas of our lives, which led to extensive changes to the draft text of the AIA. The trialogue negotiations between the Commission, Parliament, and Council for the final version of the AIA ended on 8 December 2023 and we will soon have the final version of the AIA text. The text has significantly changed from its first version as proposed by the European Commission in 2021.
This workshop aims to analyze how this new regulation will shape the AI technologies of the future and their impact on our lives. We will cover issues such as the ability of the AIA requirements to be operationalized, privacy, fairness, and explainability by design, individual rights and AIA, generative AI, AI risk assessment, and much more.
The workshop will bring together legal experts, tech experts, and other interested stakeholders for constructive discussions. We aim at stakeholder and geographical balance. The workshop's main goal is to help the community understand and reason over the implications of an AI regulation, what problems does it solve, what problems does it not solve, what problems does it cause, discuss the new proposed amendments to the text of the AI Act, and propose new approaches that maybe have not been tackled yet.

LOCATION
This will be an in-person, single-track workshop, as part of the HHAI 2024 conference (https://www.hhai-conference.org/) held in Malmö, Sweden, on June 10, at the Malmö University’s Niagara building.
PUBLICATION OPPORTUNITIES
Accepted regular papers will be published on CEUR Workshop Proceedings.
SUBMISSION DETAILS
Type of contributions of interest: we encourage authors to submit both research papers and position papers. Research papers present completed and validated research, whereas position papers present an arguable opinion about one of the workshop topics of interest. Both types of contribution can be of regular (12–15+ pages) or short length (6-8+ pages) and should be original, previously unpublished work. We also encourage authors to submit extended abstracts that present a very early stage of research or previously published work. This latter type of contributions will not be published in the proceedings.

Page limits: The typical paper length for each type of contribution is described in the previous paragraph. However, there is no strict rule regarding a maximum page limit, authors are encouraged to submit a paper of length proportional to its contribution.
Online submission: Electronic submissions will be handled via Easychair: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=iail2024
Review format: All submitted papers will be peer reviewed using double-blind peer review. We accept both LaTeX and Word files formatted according to the CEUR Workshop guidelines: http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-XXX/CEURART.zipthese guidelines. You can find the latex template at the page: https://www.overleaf.com/read/gwhxnqcghhdt
Anonymization: Please ensure that your submission is anonymous. Authors are expected to remove author and institutional identities from the title and header areas of the paper. Authors should also remove any information in the acknowledgements section that reveals authors or the institution. Finally, authors are required to cite their own work in the third person. Note: Papers that violate the anonymization policy will be desk rejected.
Archives: Papers will be published as workshop proceedings on CEUR Workshop Proceedings.
The papers must be written in English.
At least 1 author of the accepted papers should attend the conference in person.
There will be two panel sessions where authors will be able to present their work.

TOPICS OF INTEREST
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- The AI Act and future technologies
- Applications of AI in the legal domain
- Ethical and legal issues of AI technology and its application
- Dataset quality evaluation
- AI and human oversight
- AI and human autonomy
- Accountability and Liability of AI
- Algorithmic bias, discrimination, and inequality
- AI and trust
- Transparent AI
- AI and human rights
- The impact of AI and automatic decision-making on rule of law
- Explainable by design
- Privacy by design
- Fairness by design
- AI risk assessment
- Explainability metrics and evaluation
- AI certification
- Safety, reliance and trust in human-AI interactions
- Human-in-the-loop paradigm
- Federated learning
- Contestability of AI output and generative AI
We are open to diverse methodological approaches such as quantitative, qualitative, and computational methods. Interested authors should submit their papers/extended abstracts alongside a title page containing a brief author bio and contact information.
Manuscripts must be submitted as PDF files via EasyChair: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=iail2024

IMPORTANT DATES

Paper Submission: March 30, 2024

Acceptance Notification: May 2, 2024

Camera-ready submission: June 1, 2024

Main workshop: June 10, 20243

All deadlines are at the end of the day specified, anywhere on Earth (UTC-12).
Special inquiries can be directed to: Desara Dushi at [log in to unmask] and Francesca Pratesi at [log in to unmask]

ORGANIZERS

This workshop is organized by Francesca Pratesi (ISTI - CNR), Desara Dushi (VUB), and Francesca Naretto (SNS).
We look forward to seeing you in Malmo on June 10, 2024.