From:
Mike Brenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 10:18:24 -0500
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE> RS-232 serial driver in Ada 95 (LONG MESSAGE: 68K)

COn KOUTSOUNIS > Anybody know of a freely available RS-232 serial driver
in Ada 95?

Just like in C, Pascal, FORTRAN, COBOL, BASIC, or Assembler,
and Ada RS-232 serial driver is hardware, operating system, and
compiler dependent.

For example, on my PC I have a robotics controller board with many
serial ports, as well as a built-in mouse port, and a two-port
board for a total of 20 serial ports. The build-in mouse port uses
one driver (off of one interrupt), the next three are not interrupt
driven but read as bytes of opportunity, and the last 16 are buffered
and read using a third driver.

Reading the serial port involved knowing its interrupt level, its ports,
the type of UART and that UART's individual registers, and the
bit semantics inside those registers.

That being said, we can make the following assumptions:
  - a non-interrupt driven serial driver is sufficient (if not, just
    purchase a buffered serial port instead);
  - you are using an Intel personal computer;
  - your serial port is compatible with AT modems (e.g. Hayes and descendants);
  - you are willing to accept the default drivers that come with, for example,
    Alsys, Meridian, Janus, DDC-I, Telesoft, and Verdix Ada for Intel 80x86;
  - you are willing to modify the code for each operating system,
    compiler, and UART;
  - you do not need to run it in Ring 0 to overcome the NT security layer,
    the game developers kit, the system developers kit, the platform
    development kit, the COE security layer, etc. (thus restricting you to
    DOS, Win 3.1, and Win 9x);
  - you are willing to take that hodgepodge of default drivers with some
    of their bugs fixed, but not all ;
  - you are willing to accept code with absolutely no warranty,
    no guarantee, no liability, and no attribution of responsibility,
    understanding that it is just an outline of the analysis you
    will have to do, and that you are willing to put in the time to do;
  - that analysis, design, debugging, prototyping, coding, and testing
    needed to perfect it, then the available code is a possible outline
    of what you would have to do (run one copy customized for each PC
    connected via serial port).

To avoid posting a large file I will e-mail the outline of the coding
you can analyze by private e-mail. However, I do not have your e-mail
address, so if you want it, please e-mail me at [log in to unmask]