Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 16:45:24 -0600
From: Andrew Logue <[log in to unmask]>
You are correct about the distinction between primitives and classes in
Java.  Much of Java's functionality, flexibility, and appeal is due to
the system java class libraries which provide Java's support for IO,
string manipulation, networking, graphics, multimedia fileformats, etc.

Essentially this amounts to nothing more than an API.  (Although it's a
very BIG and powerful API...Java's networking package java.net seems
exceptionally thorough)  I'm not sure what you mean by "are the java
class libraries available from Ada".  Are you asking if Ada has a similar
API available (written in Ada)?

Or are you asking if you can use a chunk of Java code or a Java GUI from
within an Ada program?  This is a much more complex (and interesting)
question and I don't think I can answer it fully.

But first of all the target machine would have to have the Java run-time
system installed.  This should be available for Windows, Solaris, possibly
Linux (might not have shipped yet) - maybe a few other OSes.  Since the
run-time system is responsible for interpretting the Java bytecode I
think that the answer to your question would depend on the particular RTS.

Some Java run-time systems apparently perform just-in-time compilation of
Java bytecode into native system code.  I'm pretty sure this can be achieved
in Win9x.

But the question I have for you is WHY would you want to go to
the trouble when either language by itself should be sufficient to meet your
needs???

Andrew Logue
Software Architect / Bug Squisher
Computing Devices Canada
work phone 730-1186
email [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]