From:
"Marc A. Criley" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marc A. Criley
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 06:35:47 -0500
Terry Westley wrote:

> OK, one more time...  (traffic has been so sparse lately ;-)
>
> It appears (to me) that there is enough interest to revive the
> Web Ada group, although perhaps with a slightly modified or
> expanded purpose.
>
> It's been suggested by several that the ACM SIGAda mailing list
> is a good basis for a discussion group perhaps later to become a
> chartered working group.  I think this is a good compromise
> because some (like me) don't read comp.lang.ada regularly and
> others don't like commercial groups such as Yahoo Groups.
>
> I propose that the Web Ada mailing list be revived to discuss
> the purpose of such a group and whether there is enough
> interest to begin a working group.

You have my wholehearted support for reviving this mailing list!  The
record of responses to my postings on comp.lang.ada and gnatlist regarding
JGNAT and Java have been spotty at best.

I concur with Ben's posting that the charter of such a working group and
mailing list needs to be clearly stated.  E.g., are Ada->JBC compilers and
Java issues already considered within the "Web Ada" domain, or are they on
the outside and perhaps ought to be included?

My area of interest lately has been Ada/Java, and what I've been doing does
not really play in what might be called the "Web technologies", other than
being able to execute a GNApplet in a browser.

> Currie Colket has suggested that ACM would prefer a name of
> the form SIGAda-Web rather than web_ada and I'm happy to go
> along with that.  However, the scope of this group may be
> broader than just the Web.  So, the purpose of my email here
> is to solicit the opinion of those who would be interested
> in joining such a group to suggest names for the mailing list,
> and perhaps ultimately a working group.
>
> Ideas?
>    1) SIGAda-Web
>    2) SIGAda-Internet
>    3) SIGAda-Net
>    4) SIGAda-other?

Perhaps the way to start is with Ben's suggestion of WebWG and allowing a
fairly broad charter.  If after a period of time there appears to be some
distinct sub-groups emerging, consider splitting it at that time.

There is some precedence, by the way, for a mailing list's charter and
character to evolve:  the ASIS Tech mailing list was originally intended
for discussions of the ASIS standard and has since evolved into more of an
ASIS applications technical advice mailing list, and has been quite
effective in that role.

Marc A. Criley
Senior Staff Engineer
Quadrus Corporation