From:
Prof R Conn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Prof R Conn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 1997 00:49:07 EDT
Hello, Everyone,

The figures are in for August, which was a short month for the PAL due
to the main site, WU Archive, being down for 8-10 days (I don't remember
which) and the fact that I'm running the stats now (very early morning,
29 Aug) because I'm going to take a few days off before hitting the Ada
CDROM production really hard.  In spite of this reduced availability of
the PAL, the stats look great.  Note that these are the tip of the PAL
iceberg: these stats are from WU Archive only (so they do not include
the mirror sites at cdrom.com, sw-eng, and cnam.fr, and the Belgium and
Germany sites). They also do not count activity from remote NFS mounts,
FTP mail, and other mechanisms.  They also do not count activity from
CDROM distribution and from mirrors within companies.  Enough said ...
the data:

During about 2/3 of August 1997,

34,737 files were transferred from the main PAL site at WU Archive by users in
 1,076 organizations

Of these, 210 organizations were new (first time they ever accessed the PAL
was this month), and 866 are repeat customers.

The actual file transfer count was much larger:

  68,019 files total from the full, detailed report
 -15,878 files transferred to the cdrom mirror
  ======
  52,141 files left
 -15,183 files transferred to the sw-eng mirror
  ======
  36,958 files left
  -2,221 files transferred to the cnam (Paris) mirror
  ======
  34,737 files left (transferred by users)

What does this tell us?  That at least 15,878 files were updated/added
to the PAL this month (since the mirrors transfer files automatically
when a change is detected in them ... that is, files are updated or added
to the site being mirrored, in this case WU Archive).  If you read my
articles in Ada Letters and/or the PAL FAQ on the Web, you'll note that
there are about a dozen parts to the PAL that are automatically fed from
various sites.

The full report of the August 97 PAL activity will be available in the
PAL soon (in a few days).

In addition, I'm aware of over 200M bytes of new material on its way
into the PAL in the next two weeks (to try to make the deadline for the
upcoming Ada CDROM). Looks like the upcoming 14th (Nov 97) Edition of
the Walnut Creek Ada CDROM will be interesting in terms of the magnitude
of change to it from the June 97 edition now in your hands.  By the way,
I've also been busy making some minor improvements to the user interface
on the Ada CDROM ... hopefully, some of you will find it even more
friendly than it currently is.

Will stay in touch,
Rick
--
Richard Conn, PAL Manager  |  [log in to unmask]
Opinions expressed herein are my own and not necessarily those of anyone else.