From:
Terry Westley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 15:35:15 -0500
Mike Brenner asks:
> If there is a way to do Unix general expressions in Ada, please post
> the reference where the source code can be downloaded. This is not
> a smiley-type issue, this is a major advancement in Ada's capabilities.
> Languages like C, Tcl, Perl, awk, cshell, vi, etc., come with Unix
> regular expression built in. Ada sorely needs this capability.

Take a look at TASH, http://www.ocsystems.com/xada/tash/.  You can get
regular expression pattern matching through this Ada binding to Tcl.

Part of my motivation for asking this general-purpose vs. domain-
specific question in the first place is to better understand whether
it would be worthwhile to "thicken" the Tcl binding to make regular
expression processing and Tcl/Perl-style string, list, and array
processing more usable in Ada.  I find Tcl and Perl very easy to
program for these purposes and I want to understand why that is.
My hope is that will result in an improved, thicker Tcl/Ada binding.

I would like to be able to take advantage of those things Tcl/Perl/Icon
type languages are good at (string and text processing, interfacing to
Unix system calls and utilities, simple GUIs) and yet work in a
strongly-type, reliable general-purpose language.  I find that whenever
I write a program in Tcl or Perl, the program eventually becomes big
enough and complex enough, that I would like to be using Ada instead.

--
Terry J. Westley, Principal Engineer
Calspan SRL Corp, P.O. Box 400, Buffalo, NY 14225