From:
jim hopper <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jim hopper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 11:20:11 +0100
>I don't want to risk it).  I thought the newer Macs were the next best
>thing, and when MachTen and Codebuilder came out, I finally decided that
>was the way to go--especially with the rumors that MacOS 8 would be a
>variant of NeXT Unix.  Then Jobs made his deal with Gates and once again
>I'm faced with choosing between the garbage (Windoze), a good product with
>very doubtful future (MacOS + MachTen) or some excellent products that
>require more personal admin time than I can afford (Linux).

Next based mac os is alive and well.  i have rhapsody running on my 8500,
well my fiance's 8500 now (i got a new machine and she showed up the next
weekend with a pickup and hauled off my old machine ;-) ).  first developer
release was to much trouble to get gnat running under, but i have been
assured problems in gcc source code have been fixed for new release done
RSN.  rhapsody is indead a very very nice system.  you have mac os, and if
thats all you chose to see thats fine, but you open a terminal app and you
suddenly find a complete unix running underneath it.  don't give up yet,
this is due i belive about the first of the year for public.

as far as machten goes, it continues.  i have recently got 3.11 running on
it, and the fact that it works on top of gcc 2.8.1 really helps as it
creates better cleaner code.

jim

At a recent computer software engineering course in the US, the participants
were given an awkward question to answer.  "If you had just boarded an
airliner and discovered that your team of programmers had been responsible
for the flight control software, how many of you would disembark
immediately?"
                    unknown author