From:
John McCabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 10:54:32 +0000
Colin

>I have heard that the programming language "C"   will out grow its date package
>in I think 2030.

>I was wondering if there is any fact to this?

I can't tell you for definite, but going by some of the Unix code, it seems
extremely likely.

>and if ADA has any similar problems?

The Ada 95 RM specifies:

package Ada.Calendar is
   type Time is private;

   subtype Year_Number is Integer range 1901 .. 2099;

etc.

This suggests that Ada 95 code might screw up in the new millenium :-), but
section 9.6(27) states that:

"The implementation of type Time shall allow the representation of all dates
with year numbers in the range of Year_Number; it may allow representation of
other dates as well (both earlier and later)".

So to me it sounds like a possible problem, but only in certain circumstances.
Besides - this will probably be updated in Ada 0x!

John