From:
"Richard L. Conn" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard L. Conn
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 2000 22:06:49 -0400
Hi, Everyone,

Update 3 of the Ada and Software Engineering Library comes out on Monday, 1
May 2000,
and will be distributed as a part of ACM SIGAda's Ada Awareness Initiative
at the
DoD Software Technology Conference in Salt Lake City.  If you are interested
in getting
a copy, see the availability information below.

For those of you who are members of ACM SIGAda, the December 1999 issue of
the newsletter
is just now being received in the mail.  It includes Update 2 of the ASE
CDROM.
Update 2 came out in October 1999, and Update 3, which supercedes it, is
dated May 2000.
Due to licensing issues from Sun, Update 2 includes a Sun Java 2 compiler
and environment,
and Update 3 does not, but Update 3 includes updates to many of the popular
compilers and
tools, including the Booch components, GNAT, and GRASP.  Update 3 also
includes JGNAT
(which is GNAT with a target of the Java Virtual Machine) and JGRASP (which
is a version
of GRASP which runs on the Java Virtual Machine).  Update 3 also includes
the ASE Bookcase,
an elaborate extension to the Ada Bookshelf and Software Engineer's
Bookshelf in Update 2.

You can find out more about the features of ASE Update 3 from my KSU website
at:
  http://unicoi.kennesaw.edu/~rconn/ase_features/index.htm

Both Update 2 and Update 3 build off the ASE baseline (dated November 1998),
so you need
the 2-CDROM baseline set and either Update 2 or Update 3 to get a complete
version of
the library.

Development of the ASE CDROMs continues as a voluntary, unfunded effort,
coordinated
with the ACM SIGAda's Ada Awareness Initiative.  All material is available
on the
web through the ASE Library websites (see the Features write-up above).  I
hope you
enjoy this resource.

Rick Conn, ASE Library Editor

ASE CDROM Availability --
> First, you can order them online at the Walnut Creek CDROM (the publisher)
website:
>   http://www.cdrom.com/
>
> Second, below lists the Walnut Creek CDROM Distributors, Resellers, and
> Retail Dealers, from whom you can buy them directly or order them if you
> don't see them on the shelves.
>
> Third, they are distributed through ACM/SIGAda's Ada Awareness Initiative.
> They are sent out periodically with the organization's newsletter (Update
2 just went out),
> included in the registration packet at the International SIGAda 2000
Conference
> (coming up in November 2000), and distributed at the Ada Awareness booth
at
> conferences such as the DoD Software Technology Conference, the ACM
Computer Science
> Education Conference, OOPSLA, and about a dozen more conferences each
year.
> ACM/SIGAda chapters can also purchase copies for distribution to local
> members and the Ada Awareness Initiative donates copies to institutions
such as
> the Air Force Academy for their students.  Funding for the ACM/SIGAda Ada
Awareness
> Initiative comes from the Ada Resource Association, a collection of Ada
compiler and
> tools vendors.
>
> The current list of Walnut Creek CDROM vendors follows.  You can also
> order the CDROMs from: http://www.cdrom.com/   This site includes an
updated list of
> vendors.
>
> Walnut Creek CDROM Distributors:
>   Ingram Micro
>   Frank Kasper and Associates
> Walnut Creek CDROM Resellers:
>   United States - CompUSA, Fry's Electronics
>   United Kingdom - DGC-NMS
>   Australia - Everything Linux
>   France - Infotheque
>   Sweden - Linuxbutiken.com
>   Netherlands - Mensys
>   Germany - ixsoft
>   Finland - DataClub Oy
>   Italy - Italsel
>   Russia - Compulink
> Walnut Creek CDROM Retailers:
>   CompUSA
>   Fry's Electronics
>   MicroCenter - The Computer Department Store
>   NFM Mega Mart
>   J&R Music Computer World
>   Hastings Books - Music - Video
>   Chapters