From:
Richard Conn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 1997 00:19:24 -0400
In my recent message on Inputs, I spoke of how the
material flows into the PAL.  Mirrors play a key role
in this (see the message on inputs for more detail).

Likewise, mirrors also play a key role in the PAL's
output to the users.  Walnut Creek CDROM's host, for
example, runs the same mirror software that Washington
University at Saint Louis runs and uses this mirror
software to keep a complete copy of the PAL (that is
updated every 24 hours).  Other hosts, such a cnam,
sw-eng, and commercial sites, run mirrors that copy all
or just part of the PAL.

I also feed still other hosts and distribution systems
manually.  Simtel.Net (the current incantation of the
old SIMTEL20 system on which the ASR was based more than
a decade ago) is a system that I feed manually.  I really
view this as an important part of the PAL's purpose ...
to make Ada, VHDL, and software engineering information
and assets available to as wide an audience as possible.
Through the Simtel.Net tie, Ada et al appear on a level
playing field with the MSDOS and Windows communities,
right along with C/C++, Java, and Visual Basic (among
others).  When an MSDOS user chances across an article on
Ada and pulls out his trusty SIMTEL CDROM, he finds an
Ada section, courtesy of the PAL.  Obviously, the MSDOS
and Windows communities are quite large.  Simtel.Net,
which is owned by Walnut Creek CDROM, has mirrors on
web servers all over the world (so, the Ada collection
in Simtel.Net is also scattered all over the world on
the same sites):

  Australia - 2 servers
  Austria
  Belgium
  Brazil - 2 servers
  Canada
  Czech Republic
  Finland
  Germany
  Hungary
  Ireland
  Israel
  Italy
  Korea
  Norway
  Romania
  Slovakia
  Slovenia
  South Africa - 2 servers
  Switzerland
  United Kingdom - 2 servers
  United States - 5 servers

Simtel.Net also extends into a larger number of FTP
servers:

  United States - 3 primary sites (like the one primary site
    for the PAL at wuarchive, but Simtel.Net has 3)
  United States - 11 alternate sites (one of which is AOL)
  Argentina
  Australia - 3 sites
  Austria
  Belgium - 2 sites
  Bulgaria
  Brazil - 3 sites
  Canada - 2 sites
  Chile
  China
  Czech Republic - 3 sites
  Finland
  France - 2 sites
  Germany - 8 sites
  Greece
  Hong Kong - 3 sites
  Hungary
  Ireland - 2 sites
  Israel
  Italy - 4 sites
  Japan - 7 sites
  Latvia
  Malaysia
  Mexico
  Netherlands - 2 sites
  Norway
  Poland - 3 sites
  Portugal - 2 sites
  Romania
  Singapore
  Slovakia - 2 sites
  South Africa - 3 sites
  South Korea - 3 sites
  Spain
  Sweden
  Switzerland
  Taiwan - 2 sites
  Thailand - 2 sites
  United Kingdom - 5 sites

Finally, Ada is now on DVD.  Walnut Creek, in September,
published the Simtel collection on Digital Video Disk.
4G bytes (compressed) of material, including an Ada
collection from the PAL.

If you are interested more in Simtel.Net, go to the online
PAL FAQ and you'll find a URL pointing to it.

This is one of the things I'll be talking about at Tri-Ada 97.

FYI,
Rick
--
Richard Conn